Hi I just got a 8830 yesterday (Bell Mobility - Canada) and haven't put it ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

TorqueMonster no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 WE Newbie...Help!

Advertisement

Hi I just got a 8830 yesterday (Bell Mobility - Canada) and haven't put it down yet. I love it. But I am getting mixed reviews and have some questions.

1) I did not get the data service through the provider. Will the PHONE work properly and not drop/miss a large amount of calls since there is no data service on my phone? I phone tech support and I got the feeling that I had to buy the data service for this phone to work properly. My company will be paying for this phone starting next year and at that time I will be getting the data service but till then I just want to use the many features and primarily as a phone. I will be accessing Internet and email and stuff but SMS and phone. Is what the tec support saying true or false? I mean if I don't pay for the service I don't get it and therefore the voice portion should work properly right?

2) If I use BB maps does that take up bandwidth or go through the Internet, do I need a data plan for this? Same thing for BB messenger? Or is this like SMS but just between BB users? Can I get people that don't have BB messenger to convo with me?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

psychre no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    306784a3

Re: 8830 WE Newbie...Help!

3 words for you... UNlimited Data Plan

Trust me you'll need it. I don't think the data will affect ur calls but everything
    else you do uses the Data Plan.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

yea if you dont have the data plan its just a regular phone nothing special no BB maps no BB messager etc

Sniperet no está en línea Stack level 2

Why do people think this phone has any superior features without the BB service. You can't access the internet without a BB data plan, BB messenger or maps won't work without the plan either. The phone has very limited multimedia capabilities and you can't use most of the provider services normal phones do. Without the BB data plan the phone can't compare to the windows mobile phones or even plain phones that are now on the market.
    Last edited by Sniperet; 10-06-2007 at 09:04 PM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

BB Functions Without BB BIS Data:

Phone
    Text Messaging
    Calendar
    Calculator
    Address Book
    To Do List
    Memos
    Camera
    MP3 Player
    Micro SD Storage
    OS Upgrades
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 10-07-2007 at 02:46 AM.

Sniperet no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    BB Functions Without BB BIS Data:

Phone
    Text Messaging
    Calendar
    Calculator
    Address Book
    To Do List
    Memos
    Camera
    MP3 Player
    Micro SD Storage
    OS Upgrades
    Like I said when you take away the BB data/email plan a Windows Mobile phone tops the BB. Windows Mobile phones have a rich variety of programs available far beyond what you can find for a BB and the phones will do everything you listed better. BTW they also have full use of the add on memory cards.

Don't get me wrong I love my 8830 but if you take away the BB email function my old Motorola Q was better due to its being a more versatile phone.

digdoug no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    Just to add my opinion (I read this somewhere) having a smartphone w/o an unlimited data plan is like having a new car with no gas-it looks pretty but is useless. Not completely but definitely enough. If I didn't have my u/l plan I would go back to my lg scoop-at least it could take pics and had mms