Here is my question: I am with Verizon and currently have the 8703. I understand ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

8830 Verizon worldphone GSM question

Advertisement

Here is my question: I am with Verizon and currently have the 8703. I understand that the 8830 has the ability to work on both CDMA and GSM.

I will not be travelling out of the country, however, I have a cabin in the mountains I spend a lot of time at. There is no CDMA service but the people with GSM (cingular) get perfect reception up there. If I get the 8830 will it be possible to use the GSM service up there? How do you go about switching to GSM service, can you just select an option on the phone or what?

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Re: 8830 Verizon worldphone GSM question

nope, can only use GSM outside of the USA and you need to get the sim card or buy one.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by guyheavensent
    nope, can only use GSM outside of the USA and you need to get the sim card or buy one.
    That is the way it is suppose to be, have heard that it might roam onto GSM and get nailed with roaming charges.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson
    That is the way it is suppose to be, have heard that it might roam onto GSM and get nailed with roaming charges.

i really doubt that due to the freq of the GSM bands differ from NA to Europe, so I doubt you will ever get a roaming signal