I've got an 8830 on VZW, we have a big corporate account. I have "unlimited" ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

ZPrime no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 (Verizon) - data just "goes away" until reboot?

Advertisement

I've got an 8830 on VZW, we have a big corporate account. I have "unlimited" data.

Every week or so, at random, the device will suddenly decide to stop connecting to data. No web browser, no e-mails, no Internet at all. The phone continues to work fine, but the signal meter in the corner changes to lower case. (If you didn't know this already, uppercase network marking means you have an active data connection, while lowercase means that data is available but you're not connected.) Standard TXT messaging continues to work as well - I was able to TXT myself, and in about 30 seconds or so it came back / was delivered to me.

When this happens, the ONLY way to fix it is reboot the phone. I normally just do Alt+RShift+Del. When it comes back up, data is OK again. I can try to resend service books and all that other stuff but nothing ever goes through, presumably because the data connection is totally dead. Again, after the reboot everything works fine as though nothing happened at all.

The only "3rd party" app I have that does anything regularly with data is BBWeather, which is setup to auto-update every 30 mins. (I have Google Maps installed but I don't use it much and there's no correlation between app usage and the "data problem" that I can see.) I'm connected to a BES as well. I'm one of the IT guys so I have full control over the BES, it's currently at default out-of-the-box install settings so I don't think it is at fault.

Anyone else ever see this, on Verizon or otherwise? Or is my BB just flaky and needs to be RMAd?
    Last edited by ZPrime; 11-30-2007 at 12:34 PM.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: 8830 (Verizon) - data just "goes away" until reboot?

i know it sucks but alot of the new BB models have this memory leak problem hopefully its addresed with the 4.3 OS update

ZPrime no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    i know it sucks but alot of the new BB models have this memory leak problem hopefully its addresed with the 4.3 OS update
    This is due to a memory leak? I don't have any problem with any apps launching/etc. Is there a way to see how much program/working RAM is free on a BB?

I've never seen a memory leak (on a PC or even other handhelds) manifest itself by only breaking networking; it's usually something where the device just gets "unstable" after a while and then freezes/locks or restarts itself. Unless of course the memory leak is in the actual networking code, in which case, shame on you RIM.

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3

I've had this same problem with five different 8830's from Sprint. I believe there is a limitation in the OS or the radio that cause the data to drop out if too much data is transmitted at one time. Something I read on the SharkModem website stated that there was a limit of 5 tcp connections that can be supported by the operating system. My diagnosis could be wrong though... The only difference I had was the network indicator would disappear. I still have the 8830, but on another line now and I'm suffering from the Sprint Mogul syndrome. The Q died so I had to give my finacee something that looked similar. I miss my 8830....

UniquelyAm no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you.

My husband and I, too, have unlimited data plans with the BB 8830 and yes, about once a week or so, it just decides to stop connecting even when I get in a good signal area. No emails, service books or internet but the phone is fine. I was just searching for an answer to it when I found this.
    Thank you all for the answers. I hated the thought of calling support and even the possibility of having to wait to get a new one shipped out.

*Leaves to finally go get things accomplished now that this is sorted*

amb.
    Last edited by UniquelyAm; 01-31-2008 at 04:17 PM.

russdavisdotcom no está en línea Stack level 1

Warrantee the phone out. I had that happen to me with an 8830 and I wiped, reloaded, etc. I finally just got a new one and it fixed the problem.

The indicator would drop to a 1x for no good reason. Bouncing the radio would help sometime, but most of the time, it required a reboot.