Do I have to buy a GSM SIM card to use my new 8830 globally? ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

tsconver no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C20CAA

8830 Sim Card

Advertisement

Do I have to buy a GSM SIM card to use my new 8830 globally? I am not sure and documentation is not clear. Verizon site indicates it is included in the phone but I can not see where it is located or where it even goes.

Thanks

Lighthouse8888 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8830 Sim Card

Yes you need a SIM to roam in most countries. My SIM was not in the phone box but separate. I think I actually paid $39.95 for it but mine is on a corporate account so I'm not really sure.

toddone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

yes, you do have to purchase the global gsm card from vzw and it would go right under the sd card when you remove the battery casing.. you will see it.
    " Real talk comes from the heart not from the mouth "

_Todd_

PIN/ID
    32C20CAA

Quote Originally Posted by toddone
    yes, you do have to purchase the global gsm card from vzw and it would go right under the sd card when you remove the battery casing.. you will see it.
    Hmm I see absolutely no place to put a SIM card, either under or over the SD card. When the SD card is out there is only one place to put anything and that appears to be the Sd card holder.

There looks to be a slot to the immediate left of the SIM card when looking at the back but I can not see if there are contacts or anything in it.

Any thoughts?

toddone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

correct... on the left you can see the little diagram that is where the sim would go and the sd card folds into the device... sorry... lol , my excuse is im with vzw and i dont have gps...lol
    " Real talk comes from the heart not from the mouth "

_Todd_

PIN/ID
    32C20CAA

Quote Originally Posted by toddone
    correct... on the left you can see the little diagram that is where the sim would go and the sd card folds into the device... sorry... lol , my excuse is im with vzw and i dont have gps...lol
    Thanks guess I need to contact VZW and see how much they are and how much they are going to soak me for roaming in Europe.

Lighthouse8888 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by tsconver
    Thanks guess I need to contact VZW and see how much they are and how much they are going to soak me for roaming in Europe.
    The Global Mail BB Plan from Verizon is $64.99/mo. No commitment, you can add/disconnect at any time so long that it is a minimum of 30 days. YMMV

db869 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by tsconver
    Install the latest firmware on the 8830 since it allows SIM unlocking. Then get Verizon to unlock the device for your international travel and use a SIM card from a European carrier while there.

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by db869
    Install the latest firmware on the 8830 since it allows SIM unlocking. Then get Verizon to unlock the device for your international travel and use a SIM card from a European carrier while there.
    I did this and it did not work because the Verzon Wireless salesperson told me that I did not need a SIM card. I called there international help line and they told me that they would not unlock the phone while I was overseas and that they would not express me a SIM card or a working phone to replace the one they f*cked up!

F*ck You Verizon Wireless.
    Watch what you say,
    they'll be calling you
    a Radical, a Liberal,
    Fanatical, a Criminal . . .