I am currently a Verizon customer. I am now eligible for an upgrade and I ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

murray34 no está en línea Stack level 2

8830 or Curve

Advertisement

I am currently a Verizon customer. I am now eligible for an upgrade and I have been waiting for the 8830 to be released. I have never had a Blackberry and I can only say that I cannot wait to trade in my Treo for a new Blackberry. Also, I could switch to AT&T next month b/c my contract ends June 15. I pose this question to experience Blackberry users and members to the pinstack. What should I do? I love the camera option on my Treo. I really do not need GPS. I use my Treo for business and I look forward to Blackberry's email capability. I like Verizon's network but I don't need a world phone. I feel like the Curve would be a perfect combination for me but it is not available through Verizon. I entertain all opinions b/c I clearly need help. Thanks and I look forward to the Pinstack.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: 8830 or Curve

I think you need to take a step back before you make a switch in carriers just to get a certain phone. That is definitely the WRONG way to go about it.

You should pick a carrier that works for you, one that has the service where you need it - where you live, work, travel, play, etc. Once you make that determination, pick the device that fits your needs.

For example, Cingular has a crappy signal at my house, where as Verizon is strong. Sprint is also quite good. T-Mo is non existent.

As for the BB, do the research so you know what you are getting. IMHO, it is many times better than a Treo. Having gone through 3 Treo 600s and a 650, I know what the Treo world is like. I have also used a WM device and still went back to the BB. Keep in mid that toget the full use oout of the BB, you will need a BB dataplan. On Cingular, the unlimited personal plan is $34.99 or $29.99 with a qualifying voice plan (450 miniutes?). On Verizon it is about $40 or somewhere there abouts. No dataplan, no email and no Internet.

murray34 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the info. I live in the Atlanta area and the coverage with Verizon and AT&T are very similar. I do not know about the internet capability on their respective Blackberrys but the coverage in the Atlanta area and Georgia are almost identical. Maybe someone can give me feedback about the email and internet capability on Verizon v. AT&T. Thanks for your help.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Should be pretty much the same with a possible edge in speed on VZW's side. EVDO's a lot faster than EDGE but the processors and OS's on the current model BB's are a bottleneck and in most cases make the network speed difference negligible (something that those clamoring for 3G seem to constantly overlook).

If coverage is comparable and you're happy with at&t's coverage then switching for the Curve might not be a bad idea. I'd just say make sure that you really test things out during the trial period with at&t in case you decide you want to swtich back. IIRC at&t has a pretty generous trial period of 30 days but you'll want to confirm that with them.