Hi, I just recently purchased my BB and I love it! Anyways, I've been learning ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

im2tall no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 MicroSD 6GB

Advertisement

Hi,

I just recently purchased my BB and I love it! Anyways, I've been learning a lot about the BB and I just wanted to share what I've uncovered. For those who's thinking about getting the new sandisk microsd 6gb, don't. The current OS 4.2 will not support the space and when you format it, BB will automatically format it to 1.6gb of space.

According to the BB website, BB devices can support upto 8gb of memory card if it has v4.3. I tried to link you guys to the website, but I'm not a stack level 2 member. Just go to the blackberry website -> support -> run a search with title "microsd" and you'll see a topic "supported microsd"

I hope this isn't redundant, but I didn't find any previous related post on this matter. But then again, I'm new.

Good luck,

Jason

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8830 MicroSD 6GB

I know there have been people who've figured out how to use a 6 gb card on their curves. it seems some people are able to do it, others aren't. there are some good discussions on the subject if you want to use Pinstack's search feature and read up about it.

RadioDude no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by im2tall
    Hi,

I just recently purchased my BB and I love it! Anyways, I've been learning a lot about the BB and I just wanted to share what I've uncovered. For those who's thinking about getting the new sandisk microsd 6gb, don't. The current OS 4.2 will not support the space and when you format it, BB will automatically format it to 1.6gb of space.

According to the BB website, BB devices can support upto 8gb of memory card if it has v4.3. I tried to link you guys to the website, but I'm not a stack level 2 member. Just go to the blackberry website -> support -> run a search with title "microsd" and you'll see a topic "supported microsd"

I hope this isn't redundant, but I didn't find any previous related post on this matter. But then again, I'm new.

Good luck,

Jason

Im happy with my 2 gig but thanks for the info

rws70 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have an ATT 8310 and bought a SanDisk 6GB microsd card.

First I connected it to my computer with the adapter that came with the microsd card and it showed up as a 6 gig drive. I created a folder on it called Blackberry and subfolder called Video and moved a video into it. It was FAST moving the file onto the card MUCH faster than the old 2GB gig card I have.

Then I put the card in the blackberry and was able to play the video.

Then I hooked up the blackberry to the computer (xp sp2) and tried to view the drive. It said I had to format to view the drive, I stupidly said yes and it formatted my drive down to 1.6 gigs. Then I couldn't undo the mistake until I found a utility at ww w sdcard dot org / downloads and used the sdfv2000 utility to erase everything on the card and reformat it ... what a relief! Thought I had hosed it.

Conclusion:
    So I can use the Sandisk adapter to read and add files to the card from my computer. And the blackberry works fine when the card is inserted and it recognizes the size of the card. BUT you cannot add/remove files to the card while it is in the blackberry via the USB cord. You have to take it out and do that with the SanDisk adapter.

Bit of a pain ... I am still researching it. Just wanted to get my current experience on the record.

Cheers
    Last edited by rws70; 12-05-2007 at 10:18 PM.

nsane1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Yup 6gb is buggy on all the devices. It works in some ways, not in others. All in all, I should have gone 4. I even complained to RIM about their marketing... I have 6gb of MP3s on it, it only plays about 2... All I have to do is get the new OS...

Waiting for the fix myself.

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

I have a 6gb micro sd SanDisk card in my 8830, if you format the card in the BB you will show 1.6gb of usable space. If you used Panasonic SD Formatter program it will format and show 5.6gb of usable space, however I am told it will only really hold about 3.2gb of data, I guess we will have to wait for O.S. 4.3.

jsntrenkler no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C5835C

Hurry up 4.3!!!!