How much free memory is need for the Blackberry to run efficiently? My unit now ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

8830 Memory Question

Advertisement

How much free memory is need for the Blackberry to run efficiently? My unit now shows 13630300 free space but sometimes is gets as low as 9830997.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: 8830 Memory Question

I have had my 8830 running alot lower then before. I am not sure how low it can go to run "effectively" but I havent had problems with memory since buying the device. Although I do do a battery pull every once in a while to keep the memory up. Right now I am running at 7538184 which is alot lower then yours, so you should be ok. Hope that helps.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

dudewheresmycar no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile

I have a 8830 and I was running with and average of 8MB of free space, Then I found a posting that showed me how to remove all the extra crap that is in the BB's OS that is not used and now I run around 19MB of free space, My BB is much much faster now that I have 19MB of free space - Battery Pull is a very good thing to do because of the memory leak on the 8830s
    Check out the cool new social networking site.

See Ya There !

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    You can download an app called Soft Reset in the dowload section here. This will alleviate you doing a battery pull to free up memory.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaliffi View Post
    You can download an app called Soft Reset in the dowload section here. This will alleviate you doing a battery pull to free up memory.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Or instead of installing anything else in memory, you can press alt + right shift + del all at the same time for 3 seconds and it resets the device akin to removing the battery.

Also, doing a full power off (via the top power button or the power off icon in-screen) and then turning the bb back on does not give the same result in releasing memory.

bkzgreeneyes no está en línea Stack level 1
    how do you check how many MB do you have?

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B
    I am at 2997143 Bytes free now. Because of my contact list and appointments. (It could not possibly be the golf score card, yahoo, gmessenger, aol, audible, mobipocket, or facebook )
    I usually get between 3-5 mb free.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    to check free space go to Options,Status, it will give you the information.

Maroon no está en línea Stack level 2
    I just experienced the "memory leak" which (I think) is when my bb arbitrarily and without notice dumps my history of calls made and my emails. I had 6.35 meg of available memory. After doing the Alt+RtShift+Del manuever, I now have 6.91 meg of available memory. Still a lot less than some of you.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    ...After doing the Alt+RtShift+Del manuever, I now have 6.91 meg of available memory. Still a lot less than some of you.
    That still sounds low if you just lost your logs as well. Make sure you're not keeping applications open (from the home screen press the bbmenu button>select 'switch application'> a task bar will appear that shows all the currently running apps (5 are always open no matter what: home screen, messages, browser,phone and BB messenger); anything else is just running in the background and not really closed, you have to select 'close' from their respective menus to get them to shut down.
    The biggest memory termites if left open in the background are gps applications and sometimes newer or beta applications that may not have all the bugs worked out.

I do find it strange that Blackberries dump logs and main info first when confronted with a low memory situation instead of closing applications first and/or emptying browser caches which have to be done manually.

Also, I suggest these two settings
    1. under options>security options>general settings> enable 'content compression' >save

2. (still under security menu) > memory cleaning> clean when holstered 'yes' and clean when idle 'yes'.
    The cleaning this does is minimal but it doesn't hurt.

Let us know how it goes