Good day all!! I have recently purchased a Blackberry 8830 and just love the technology. ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

jpartner no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 Memory Card will not format

Advertisement

Good day all!! I have recently purchased a Blackberry 8830 and just love the technology. So I went out and purchased a 2GB mini sd card and installed it per the directions. I have not been able to get this card to format no matter what I try. Once in a while I will get device error 348, but usually, the phone shuts down, reboots, give me a message that a memory card has been installed but needs to be formatted...What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Re: 8830 Memory Card will not format

Hello jpatner! Welcome to the Stacks! Have you tried to format the card? You can click Options>Media Card>Format Card. Please let us know if you need anything. Have a nice day.
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jpartner
    Good day all!! I have recently purchased a Blackberry 8830 and just love the technology. So I went out and purchased a 2GB mini sd card and installed it per the directions. I have not been able to get this card to format no matter what I try. Once in a while I will get device error 348, but usually, the phone shuts down, reboots, give me a message that a memory card has been installed but needs to be formatted...What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!
    Hey, welcome to the stacks, jpartner. i understand that the card says it needs to be formatted but does it give you the option to format from the error? Also when does it reboot? is it after you chose to format the device? is the error 348 a JVM error? Sorry for the 3rd degree just trying to get a better idea of what is happenning. Post back with some more info and i am sure we can figure it out.

HI, it reboots after I select format. When I get the device error 348 is usually after I have messed with the card. Keep thinking that the contacts aren't making contact, but everything seems to be fine there. It does not give me the option to format the card after the message on startup. Also, I just noticed when I selected the media card option, it tells me to unplug from the computer to make the media card available, yet it is not hooked up.....Thanks again

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Hope you don't mind me asking, Have you tried removing the card and placing it properly so the terminals have proper contact? Are you using a PC or a Mac? Please let us know so we can be of help.
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

Quote Originally Posted by jpartner
    HI, it reboots after I select format. When I get the device error 348 is usually after I have messed with the card. Keep thinking that the contacts aren't making contact, but everything seems to be fine there. It does not give me the option to format the card after the message on startup. Also, I just noticed when I selected the media card option, it tells me to unplug from the computer to make the media card available, yet it is not hooked up.....Thanks again
    If you go into options, advanced options, media card. make sure media card support is on, encryption mode is set to none,mass storage mode is set to on, and auto enable mass storage is set to prompt. Then press menu and it should give you an option to format card. Have you done this and does it yield the same results?

Thanks for the quick response. Am using PC, and I have tried all these settings. It does give me the format card option, and when I select it that is when after appearing to do nothing for 15 second the phone reboots giving the message about needing to format the card. I have taken the card out, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the card, and same result? Thanks

I would either say to do one of 2 things or possibly both. First get a memory card reader and format the card off of the pc then pop back into the device and try to format it again. Second if that does not work or you do not have a card reader run an application loader off of the PC to reload the OS.

Sgooter no está en línea Stack level 1

If you decide to get a memory card reader, make sure it will read a micro SDHC card; not all readers are compatible with the new micro SDHC cards.

Also, when your 8830 is connected to your PC, are you able to see the micro SD card on the PC as a drive letter? As an example, my card in the 8830 is displayed as an F: drive in My Computer. If you are able to see the micro SD card as a drive letter, then look for a Blackberry folder in which there will be five sub-folders: music, videos, ringtones, system, and pictures. If you can see these folders, then your SD card has been formatted by your 8830.

If this problem persists, then you might also consider taking your micro SD card to a local 8830 vendor, and see if it will work (format) in their 8830. The purpose of this test is to determine whether your micro SD card or your 8830 is the source of the problem.

Keep us posted.
    Sprint 8830 w/4GB card

Thanks...I have a memory card reader....the card will not read there either.....So I went and got a new card....and it works............thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

shangomoons no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm currently having the same problem. My MicroSD card worked fine at first, and then one day it asked me to format it. It wasn't a big deal because I didn't have much on the card (and nothing that wasn't on my laptop also), so I tried formatiing with my BB, and it did the same thing. Looked like it was doing nothing for about 15 seconds and then rebooted itself. Tried formatting with my PC and that didn't work either. I just now plugged the SD into my PC to get some movies off of it, and noticed that the card looks to be formatted now (it now has the Blackberry>Music/videos/ringtones/system folders). I'm going to take it in today and see if the Verizon guys can offer any help.