I have an 8830 VZW that loses 100% of battery power overnight while the phone ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

justinputti no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8830 lose of battery when off

Advertisement

I have an 8830 VZW that loses 100% of battery power overnight while the phone is powered off. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am on my second phone and after a couple weeks, both developed this problem. It makes me think that it is a software issue but I am seeking your help. I access email through a Lotus Notes Enterprise Server and have installed Opera Mini, Google Mobile, MFRadio (doesn't work), and of course Pinstack mobile. I also installed a MicroSD card before the initial turn on. Any suggestions?

Justin

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: 8830 lose of battery when off

justinputti,

I don't have the 8830 but, since you have had the same problem with TWO phones, my question to you is are you sure you're turning the phone off? Do you go to the "Turn Power Off" icon and use that...and does the phone respond with something like "turning handheld off?

Have you tried removing any of the software (such as MFRadio "that doesn't work") or others to see if that makes a difference?

Obviously something is going on overnight to drain the battery but I don't think this could happen with the phone off. If that isn't what you do and what happens please describe it in detail and we'll try to help.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hmmmm??? That is a rather strange problem. I have an 8830 as well and have never had anything like that happen to me before. Try this...next time u turn the phone off for the night, remove the battery from the phone. Reinstall the battery in the morning and see what the battery level is like. This should help you figure out whether you are having a problem witht the battery or the BB itself.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3

Try this

I had this happen to me but the phone was left powered and with a short auto off/on in the middle of the night. I strongly believe it's related to the "drop of EVDO" issue, where the phone drops all indication of a signal type then pegs trying to find a signal, I would find the phone completely drained after going to bed with over 60% battery left. I was trying to check how long real use I could go without charging the phone, and the issue has only happened twice in 2 1/2 months of owning the 8830. But also I normally leave the BB connected overnight and have not done so maybe a handfull of times. During the day, It's more likely I catch the loss of signal, reset connection and prevent accelerated battery drain. Anyways, thats my theory.

Anyhoo, to make sure you are trully turning your unit off, first go to <options-AutoOn/off-> and enable either or both weekday/weekend schedules, keep in mind the turn on time on top (usually in the morning) will be later than the turn off time on bottom, so at first glance it looks odd.
    Go back to home page, find the "Turn power off" icon (unhide if you have it hidden) and press, you will now have the option of "turn off" and "full power off" and of course select the later, to turn back on in the morning press the top power button or allow your sheduler to turn it on for you. If you were not to enable auto on/off schedule(both disabled) you would only get "turning handheld off" and to be honest I don't know which power off you're getting .

There are at least 5 ways to turn off your 8830, and each one gives a different action screen , and I really do not know which one is "more off" than the other:
    1)press and hold the top power button
    2)press and hold the top mute button (this is a standby mode and the BB will come back on incoming call)

the aforementioned Turn off icon:
    3)select "turn off"
    4)select "full power off"
    5)take the battery out

Hope you can solve your problem, of course as a last resort, leave your BB connected overnight.

Thanks for the advice. I am turning the phone off by holding the power button at the top and do get the "turning handheld off - press any button to abort" message.

I have several more things to try now. I am going to remove all the 3rd party apps first. VZW support suggested doing a wipe clean if I don't want another new phone. Both are a pain since I have to activate with a BES in Sweden and getting the IT guys to reset everything for initialization is a challenge.

Last night I removed the battery. When I powered up, there was still 100% charge so the battery is fine.

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

I have had my VZW 8830 for almost 7 months, never had this problem.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm willing to bet you also never get the loss of "type" of signal, and I mean no sarcasm.I really hope it is a software deal fixed with a OS release. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I figured it out. Google Maps was the problem.

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Oh yes GPS will drain a battery quickly especially with it in use. I make sure that whenever I use any program using gps when I'm done using it go to menu/exit or close. If you just push the end button it will go back to home screen but still run in the background. Hope that solved your battery drain problem.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by justinputti View Post
    I figured it out. Google Maps was the problem.
    justin,

Are you saying that Google Maps ran your battery down while it was turned off or GM prevented you BB from powering off or ? Just trying to understand your solution.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I had to remove GM. I was able to turn the phone off. I don't know enough about the BB OS but my guess is GM was running in the background searching for the mobile radio.