I'm considering upgrading from my 8703e to the 8830 from Verizon. I will be traveling ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

jniowa no está en línea Stack level 2

8830 in India/Kenya

Advertisement

I'm considering upgrading from my 8703e to the 8830 from Verizon. I will be traveling internationally for the first time this year. Anyway, I'm going to be traveling to India in June and to Kenya a few months after that. Does anyone have any experience with this phone in India, or Kenya. I'm going to be in Hyderabad and New Delhi, India and Nairobi and near Lake Victoria, Kenya. Thanks for the help.

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: 8830 in India/Kenya

WeLL , first of all you need to be have Un-locked device for International roaming , coz Verzion is not in India.

~via Aswani-Berry (wap.pinstack.com)~

jniowa no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8830 in India/Kenya

I know they do not have service there but the 8830 is the world phone from verizon and its supposed to work with GSM markets. I just wasn't sure if anyone had actually used this phone there in India. Unless I'm totally confused and even though its the World Phone it is possible that it may not work everywhere.

tina_twyman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30d4e1b6
    My 8830 worked in South Africa (I had everything working except SMS). My company has employeees who travel to Kenya, but they do not use the 8830. ATT&T blackberries is what they use and they work in South Africa. I'll try and ask someone if their 87xx ATT&T work in Kenya. If that model works, I can't imagine why the 8830 world edition will not work

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    You can check here for what services are available in specific countries
    http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/

benjabi no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30199D6E
    i am with telus mobility in canada, was just in india and took my 8830 there...i didn't use the data features as the roaming charges would be through the roof, however i took my telus sim card out and had an airtel sim card (pay and talk) and used my bb as a phone and sms device...worked well...

mandar no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi
    I am currently using a 8830 purchased from Verizon (US) in India. Before you travel to India you need to have the phone "unlocked" to be able to use any other network's SIM card (this anyways is the cheaper option than to be in International roaming) . I have been using the phone without any issues since Dec07

Golden Panda no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have used the 8830 in India both voice and data. I have a worldwide data plan so the roaming was not an issue for data. Voice calls were expensive however if not using a local sim card.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Keep in mind (and for those looking) always look at your provider's international roaming map to see where the 8830 can work. If you're looking to use data that original SIM will be the only way to go. You do need to provision the phone properly before travelling, normally each phone co. will have a dedicated department that will handle this activation (don't rely on 1st level activation reps for this).

If you want to have the option of using a different SIM card to improve roaming charges, then you do need the phone unlocked. Some phone co's. advertise their 8830 to be unlocked, but I find this is not true in the sense known by most used to the GSM network (read ATT, TMob,etc) in that you can't just buy the phone and pop in any Euro/Asian/African/etc SIM card and have it work; it seems though, that they unlock it for you automatically once you activate their own provided SIM (Verizon being the exception, you need to ask specifically for it to be unlocked), wether you intend to use that original SIM card or not. It just may be that this also activates a code for the OS to accept another carrier's card, I don't know.

Happy travels
    Last edited by huracan; 04-06-2008 at 07:56 PM.

bbputernut no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by huracan View Post
    Keep in mind (and for those looking) always look at your provider's international roaming map to see where the 8830 can work. If you're looking to use data that original SIM will be the only way to go. You do need to provision the phone properly before travelling, normally each phone co. will have a dedicated department that will handle this activation (don't rely on 1st level activation reps for this).

If you want to have the option of using a different SIM card to improve roaming charges, then you do need the phone unlocked. Some phone co's. advertise their 8830 to be unlocked, but I find this is not true in the sense known by most used to the GSM network (read ATT, TMob,etc) in that you can't just buy the phone and pop in any Euro/Asian/African/etc SIM card and have it work; it seems though, that they unlock it for you automatically once you activate their own provided SIM (Verizon being the exception, you need to ask specifically for it to be unlocked), wether you intend to use that original SIM card or not. It just may be that this also activates a code for the OS to accept another carrier's card, I don't know.

Happy travels
    I went to London with my global phone, and I just wanted to insert here. Talk to the Global Phone dept. the other CS reps don't know anything about this phone. As for the "unlocking" All I had to do was go to store and get a free SIM card to put in phone. then when i travel I call the global dept, and ask for them to activate the global unlimited plan, which allows for unlimited emails and internet. I keep the regular lower cost plan for daily use...
    hope this helps some