Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife and I are traveling to Cancun next month for two weeks and we ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

turbolift no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 in Cancun

Advertisement

My wife and I are traveling to Cancun next month for two weeks and we want to take our 8830s with us to check emails. Does anybody know what the signal strength is there, if any? Thanks.

Don
    Last edited by turbolift; 01-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: 8830 in Cancun

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I don't think its gonna work--I also have an 8830 (a Verizon one). I may not be 100% correct in everything in which case someone will be along shortly to help.

The cool World Edition logo on the Blackberry means nothing. Assuming you have Verizon you need to get a GSM sim card from them and have them activate it. Even with all this I'm not sure if it will work in Mexico because the bands the GSM bands that the 8830 has are the European bands, not the Americas one--you use Verizon's CDMA network in the U.S. and roam on CDMA in Canada. The last time I went to Mexico (several years ago) I drove over from San Diego to Tijauna and my CDMA phone lost coverage until we returned to the border.

Good luck. And go easy on the tequilla.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

This list says it will roam in Mexico

http://aboutus.vzw.com/international...maroaming.html

Vatothe0 no está en línea Stack level 2

Any Verizon phone can roam in Cancun. Data is available for $0.005/KB

If you weren't able to use your phone there, you probably have your phone set up wrong or don't have international roaming allowed.

Thanks for the responses. Like I said earlier, we only need to check emails so there will be no calls made while we're there. Last April, when we were in Cancun, a lady was receiving emails on her blackberry but I don't know what model she had or who her carrier was. I'm just hoping our emails come through.

Don

michael2487 no está en línea Stack level 1

it sure will work there

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3

I used my 7130 in Mexico a couple months ago while I was still using that and it worked fine. Can get a little spendy. Call Verizon and make sure you have I-Dial on your account as well otherwise it wont recognize roaming in Mexico.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Hola from Cancun. As you can see my BB is working fine. I have no sim card and I have received two calls from the states. The roaming signal has been staying at 4 bars or better. All my emails for my hotmail and blackberry accounts come through with no problem. When I get my Verizon bill I'll post what the per kb charge was. Until then, adios from sunny and very warm Cancun.

telacomes no está en línea Stack level 1

My 8830 (sprint) also worked in Mexico. I traveled from Cd. Acuna to Cd. Juarez (google it), of course it didn't work the whole time, but it did in major cities. Road trip by bus.....if you can believe that! haha. I only have the data plan and I'm also waiting to see what the damage will be in the next statement. Luckily the company pays, hehehe.

reesekim no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31A37135

I just got back from Calica today, and my phone worked like a charm while I was there. I went with 2 friends, one who's with sprint (a palm user) and the other had a bb with At&t-I'm with Verizon and had the best signal of us three. I also got all of my emails consistently.
    "I'm so hip, even my errors are correct" - N.Giovanni

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Will work in CanCun and Mexico City. Roam Rates Apply.

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    now here is another question, what if i purchase a sim card in cancu, can i use my 8830we, sprint, with it installed? what type of problems am i looking at? TIA
    Felipe Diaz

BB Bold 9700 (AT&T)

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Mexico still has CDMA guys....

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by diaz1023 View Post
    now here is another question, what if i purchase a sim card in cancu, can i use my 8830we, sprint, with it installed? what type of problems am i looking at? TIA

Unfortunately the GSM available in Cancun is not the same freq the 8830 supports, so a SIM from there would not work. You're stuck with the CDMA $1.49/min roaming charge.
    But it does work under CDMA, as soon as you get a signal you receive a free SMS with instructions on how to dial
    Last edited by huracan; 07-25-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~one more question, will I need to change my data plan to get it to work? Right now I have the $30 bb data plan, do I need the world data plan to get it to work? TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast