Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Based off all the responses in this thread, I am starting to think that the ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Advertisement

Based off all the responses in this thread, I am starting to think that the GPS in the 8830 is not full GPS but A-GPS. A-GPS stands for Assisted GPS.

Rather than explain what I mean, I decided to post the link to the wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Zo

mmara no está en línea Stack level 1

GSM will noth work in North America

Your phone will not operate in GSM mode in North America

It will only operate on 900 -1800 frequencies

GSM in NA is 850-1900

mmara no está en línea Stack level 1
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by mmara; 04-08-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Finally. Ur gps runs off of the cellular towers to pin point your location if ur gsm provider don't have A_GPS as an option like "assisted"911 then u won't be able to use it. As far as I know. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RichardPG no está en línea Stack level 1
    rogero44 you are right as far as I know. I have a 8830we on Bell and in January the GPS stopped working. The tech at Bell told me Bell had decided to deactivate the GPS unless customers paid the 10/month for GPS Nav. It is completely bogus that they turn off something that is built.

pscheuer no está en línea Stack level 1

Any luck with the Sprint 8830 GPS on a GSM network?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Based off all the responses in this thread, I am starting to think that the GPS in the 8830 is not full GPS but A-GPS. A-GPS stands for Assisted GPS.

Rather than explain what I mean, I decided to post the link to the wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Zo
    This theory makes sense if you assume the 8800s and Curves that are "GSM-only" have full GPS chips (not A-GPS CHIPS)

Has anyone seen this problem on 8800 or GSM-only BB curves?

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    8830 and all other BB have A-GPS so you need to have the data plan from your provider in order to get it. Telus doesn't ask any payment for GPS unless you wanna use Telus Navigator which is $10/month, but BB maps and google maps work fine.
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

pscheuer no está en línea Stack level 1

Best explanation form BB support

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPG View Post
    rogero44 you are right as far as I know. I have a 8830we on Bell and in January the GPS stopped working. The tech at Bell told me Bell had decided to deactivate the GPS unless customers paid the 10/month for GPS Nav. It is completely bogus that they turn off something that is built.
    Just hung-up the phone with a more knowledgable gent from BB technical support. Here's his explanation:

why doesn't the GPS work on my Sprint 8830?
    1. you are on network (outside the US - London) that has limited data bandwidth. If you see "GPRS" or "gprs" or even "edge" - next to the signal strength - this is an indication that the network's (that you're roaming on) data capability is not sufficeint enough in bandwidth for you to use your GPS - so, the GPS options are essentially, aumatically turned-off by your BB.
    2. A BB with "built-in GPS" needs an EDGE (GSM-based nextwork) or EVDO (CDMA-based network) signal to sucessfully run the GPS - any less network capability and you're out of luck! (ie. they're all A-GPS: Assisted GPS)
    3. But I thought BB "GPS-enabled" meant they had GPS chips that communicated directly to the GPS satelites? - NO; there are no BB models that pull data directly from the GPS satllites - all BB models pull the needed GPS "data" through the NETWORK - that data is sourced from the satellites.
    4. Deidcated Tom Tom / Garmin / etc. have chips that receive their data DIRECTLY from the GPS satellites - this is why you can roam anywhere in the world and have a GPS signal - regardless of your mobile phone network.
    5. Lesson learned: carry a GPS bluetooth "puck" with you at all times!

setacity no está en línea Stack level 1
    Telus Blackberry Curve 8330

New out of box, GPS didn't work in Telus Navigator, Blackberry maps, or Google Maps.

Telus wiped the device, installed Telus Navigator, and then GPS worked in Telus Navigator only. BB Maps still doesn't work.

Then I tried to download Google product (Google Maps, Gmail, etc.) from http://mobile.google.com.
    When I click the link, it says 403 Forbidden. I get the same message when trying to download Opera via the BB browser. I was able to install Opera via the Desktop Manager. Thus, the blackberry isn't broken, on the ability to download is broken.

I've reinstalled the OS and done "registration" with Telus, and and removed the battery. Nothing fixes the ability to download from the Blackberry Browser.

Here's the final fix:
    In BB Browser go to Options. There must be two instances of "Internet Browser" set. One in "Browser Configuration" and the other in "General Properties". Default Browser must be set to "Internet Browser" NOT "WAP Browser". And "Browser" in Browser Configuration must be set to "Internet Browser", not "Telus WAP Browser". You may find that you save these settings, but then they aren't really saved when you go back in. I just kept trying, include battery removal, and eventually it saved properly. I also had to clear all three settings in Cache Operations inside the BB Browser. You'll need to fully close the BB Browser, and then restart the device.

GPS is now working on Telus Navigator, but not on BB Maps or Google Maps. I give up.

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    That's odd, coworker of mine use's his all time, he just directed me to get the gps traker, gpsed.com. Get a advance data sawp done at ur closest telus service center. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12