Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have unlocked 8830 from TELUS. It has CDMA number in it, but I use ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

GeorGiadiy no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8830 from TELUS. GPS problems

Advertisement

I have unlocked 8830 from TELUS. It has CDMA number in it, but I use it with my GSM SiM (operator is "life"). Everything is fine, just... some (unknown for me) troubles with gps... The thing is, that I can't use it at all.
    In Options > Advanced options > GPS i have only one choice in "GPS data source"!.. And this source is "none". So, I can't use Maps... I've tried also AmazeGPS... the same... I can't choose "GPS device"
    Can anybody help me with discovering GPS in my 8830?

OS is 4.2.2.353 (from Bell)
    Also I tried with 4.2.2.322 (from TELUS)

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Does Telus lock their GPS down like Verizon does here in the states?
    The 8830 on VZW has the GPS locked down unless you subscribe to their VZNavigator service.

Zo

As I know, Telus doesn't lock their GPS... but I'm not sure

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    A couple of questions to see if I can help you a little better:
    Is Blackberry service activated through life (the GSM provider you have your SIM with)?
    Are you able to open the Blackberry browser (I don't mean Opera or the like), receive and send email?
    If the above is yes, if you go to options>mobile network> and select network mode to 'gsm' instead of global (or 1XEV) does the above still work?

Browser is saying to me: 'HTTP error 403: Forbidden'
    After such thing, I didn't even try to work with e-mail.
    Also I want to say that my device isn't connected to BB server!
    Network mode is 'gsm'

engg2000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry 8830 GPS Working

I have the same phone 8830 from Telus. They have a pay service for GPS BUT....leave it to google for a nice free GPS software. Go to mobile.google.com & download. The name of the app is Google Maps & it works with turn by turn directions from whereever you are to a point on the map or to an address. I couldn't believe how slick it worked.

Caution: It uses a huge amount of data(downloads maps from google as you drive). Make sure you have an unlimited plan. I estimate 4mb driving for 10 minutes across a city. My last data plan was $25/month for 4mb.

Telus had a promotion for 2 weeks (not advertised well) for unlimited data @ $15/month. I think they'll offer it once in a while so look out for that--or an equivalent with your provider.

By the way, Telus gave me the Blackberry 8830 phone for free because I was having so many problems with the Moto Q before (this was 10 days after my warantee was up for the Q). Now I actually feel like I'm not getting ripped off from a Canadian cellular provider...who knew that was possible?

One question for you...did your phone come unlocked or did you get it unlocked. I'm still not sure if mine is unlocked. When I go to the US I used to buy those $30 T-mobile sim cards from ebay for $10. I was hoping it was unlocked or unlockable.

engg2000

'HTTP error 403: Forbidden'

Sorry, I didn't see your last post....

I am also not connected to BB server. Just GMAIL (works so slick as well with this device)

I had the same error. I called teus support and cleared it like this:

Turn off, remove battery for 1 minute.
    Turn on.
    Go to options, advanced option, service book.
    Delete one by one each item in the list except for 'Provisioning'
    turn off & remove battery again for 1 minute.

Turn on and allow all those programs to reload.

You should be good to go.

I hope this helps.

engg2000

Thumbs down

Thanks, engg2000

Nothing has changed...
    But this is not my biggest problem... Opera is enough for me. Did anybody have the same problem with GPS? I meen... 'GPS Data Source > None'? Is there any solution?..

That's what I was afraid. Unfortunately I think you're stuck, It may be that since you don't have an EVDO signal source (the 8830 primary antena) it will not allow for the selection. How did you download opera mini without data service? I'll asume you did have it with telus at one time with all working properly and that's how.
    Unless life offers a Blackberry plan, you will only be able to use the phone functions, antena signal wise. With Opera, although it can use 1x service, I hope you will not get hit with data roaming charges at some point; this last is just conjecture on my part since your BB data is otherwise not working. In any case, even if you got the device to recognize the gps antena (or a puck even) you won't be able to use any map application since you will need data to download the map images, opera not withstanding.

My understanding is that the 8830 is primarily a CDMA device built with the idea of 'roaming' 900/1800 gsm using the original vendor's SIM card when a CDMA signal is unavailable, you can have the phone unlocked and be able to use a local cheaper rate SIM card but at the expense of your 'home' BB service.
    Your approach is interesting in that being in the Ukraine (from your profile) you have opted to primarily use the phone in gsm mode. You can't even try that here in the US since there is no 900/1800 gsm signal. Some folks have been able to get away without the BB service and only use EVDO, but they have no other option than to stay with the EVDO provider and use other programs like opera or google products.

Sorry I did not have a favorable easy solution. You would have to get a life BB account, and cancel the bbtelus account (it is not transferable) even your old telus.blackberry mail would have to disapear if you had one. Or find a diferent GSM provider that offers BB service and try that. All this asumes you want to keep your 8830.

Cheers
    Last edited by huracan; 03-27-2008 at 11:55 AM.

I really want to keep my 8830... And I'll find the way to make it work properly!.. It still has CDMA number from TELUS in it... And I'll try in the nearest future to replace it with local one! I hope it will work

The saying does go where there is a will there is a way.
    The 8830 is a fantastic device, so I don't blame you one bit. Good luck and let us know how you make out and your solutions. It may very well help us when we travel.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by GeorGiadiy View Post
    Thanks, engg2000

Nothing has changed...
    But this is not my biggest problem... Opera is enough for me. Did anybody have the same problem with GPS? I meen... 'GPS Data Source > None'? Is there any solution?..
    Mine says 'Device GPS' for the data source. One step I missed/didn't know about was getting 'service books' sent to the device. With telus, you log in on your home computer to here:
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?b...elus&locale=en

Obviously this is no good for you. Try going to advanced options, host routing table, hit the blackberry button and select register now. I was told that it reestablishes the blackberry connection if it is broken. Let me know how it goes.

engg2000

rogero44 no está en línea Stack level 1

Maybe Bell has locked the feature

Hi,

I just got a Bell 8830, and (though I'm a total newbie) I think that Bell locks out access to the GPS unless you buy their GPSNav service. I don't want GPS navigation, I just thought it'd be neat to know exactly where in the world I was.

Just a thought though - maybe because it was a Bell device originally, you won't be able to use the GPS (even though with Telus you should be able to).

maybe?

side note - does anyone know of a small freeware app that could probe my device for the GPS location? I don't want the heavy weight of a full fledged GPS program.

Golden Panda no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a Sprint 8830. The GPS works when on the Sprint EVDO network. But when I am on a GSM network, the GPS Data Source says none. I have a worldwide Blackberry data plan and all the other data functions work fine on GSM networks (except of course text messages which Sprint cannot support for some reason). I can use Google maps when roaming on GSM to find locations and directions, it just does not have the GPS. The data is fine but the GPS is not. I do not understand why the GPS is dependent on the EVDO network.

issue

I'm still using GSM only... There are two ways for me: buy bluetooth GPS receiver or try to connect to local EVDO operator... will see

As I understand 8830 won't let GPS work in GSM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast