Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by wifi4milez Sprint is also limited to the single message, VERY annoying. As ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

bigman85 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8830 doesn't split SMS text up?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez View Post
    Sprint is also limited to the single message, VERY annoying. As you mention every other phone I have ever had simply split the message into two (or three) SMS's. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong until I realized that it is some sort of built in "lock" that prevents your message from being split. If anyone can figure out how to get CDMA 8830's to split SMS messages PLEASE LET US KNOW!

same here
    is there any upgrades i can do ?

Bert336 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have Alltel and a 8830we, i am too restricted to 160 digits. so i dont think its a verizon limit thing. Alltel is CDMA but with my old Q i could text multiple pages without any issues. So yea its a 8830we thing.
    Current software installed: v4.2.2.123

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

If you want to send a message that's over 160 characters, then you might as well just send them an e-mail, which is kind of the point of the blackberry

cwaturner no está en línea Stack level 2

Well here's my .02 I also have an 8830 via Sprint and I also am limited to 160 characters (extremly frustrating) I upgraded from a PPC6700 from Qwest and have been extremly satisfied save for the text limitations. My girlfriend has a Curve via at&t and is able to split over 6 messages. Is there any fix out there. It seems to be a combined effort between the Carrier and RIM. WHY?????!!!!! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

From everyone's comments, it appears to be limited ONLY to the 8830 on Verizon and Sprint. A fix is badly needed, so if anyone has a workaround please let us know!

stumbleman no está en línea Stack level 1

Anyone figure out a solution to this? I'm on Bell Mobility and looks like I'm running into the 1 msg limit. This is a big issue...

Is there some 3rd party software that will let me write a long or multipart txt message on this 8830? Can't believe they would not allow me to write more than 160 characters. Never mind the fact that this device seems to decide when to erase my SMS inbox, without even telling me! Talk about the opposite of SonyEricsson UI brilliance...

Also, I'd like to address those who post the "just send an email instead" non-solution... I am one of the few people in my peer group using Bberry, so sending an email is useless if I want to contact pretty much anyone else I know through their phone (without calling them).

Let me know!

thanks
    mike

umanben no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317f3afd
    Its been a problem with each blackberry i've had. Perhaps its a limitation with the cdma networks. Never had any SMS limits when I was using gsm, but I will take the better voice and split the texts up manually.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

romeo.0292 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey I could not find any help in other threads, and this was the closest thing to my problem. I have a BB Pearl (8130) and it's being really retarded on me. the problem consists with my text messages, the options for "Keep messages are set to "FOREVER". And Once in a while all of my text messages will be gone and i will have nothing but e-mail left, this is really bugging my because i want to keep all of my text messages... Can anyone Please help???
    :/
    Last edited by romeo.0292; 04-08-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Screwed up

thechadj no está en línea Stack level 4
    romeo, have you lost your call logs or any other data or just your archived texts? Do you hook your berry up to your computer and do a backup. As far as I know the texts are also saved on your last back up!
    P I N S T A C K E R F O R L I F E!

romeo.0292 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yeah it's only the text messages, but thanks I'll have to try that because it's really dumb how they get deleted... Thanks for the advice!!! Appreciate it!!!

lartius no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301A3097
    I've a bb8830 through bell ca as well, and I am limited to single 140 char messages. I am certain that this is an issue caused by the hybrid nature of the phone. I'm going to ask RIM about it. I'll post the results.

blakhaddad no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32CD5BCD

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by umanben View Post
    Its been a problem with each blackberry i've had. Perhaps its a limitation with the cdma networks. Never had any SMS limits when I was using gsm, but I will take the better voice and split the texts up manually.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CDMA OR GSM I HAD CDMA AND WAS ABLE TO SEND MORE THAN 160 CHARACTERS WITH MY OTHER PHONE (NON BLACKBERRY).
    DAVE

Ok guys, a little update:

I checked the 8830 on an number of other carriers today (I work in the mobile industry and have access to handsets and carriers in Canada, the US and Europe).

The 1 message limit seems to be present on (carriers that DO NOT allow multipart messages):
    - Bell Mobility
    - Verizon
    - Sprint

The ones that DO allow a multipart message:
    - AT&T
    - T-Mobile
    - Orange UK
    - T-Mobile UK

So while this may not be a CDMA-specific issue, the devices on all the CDMA carriers certainly do not allow it, while all these GSM carriers seem to have the functionality open.

This is pretty frustrating. I still would like to know if anyone has found a software patch (or even 3rd-party software) that will allow me to write multipart messages. Anyone have any insights?

inkredible no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yeah, I hate that too, but I deal with it anyway.

Another little tidbit on this, folks: I was in the subway today and hence had no signal. I opened a new SMS message to write and what suddenly appeared at the top of my message window? 160 characters 1/6, which of course meant I could all of a sudden write a multipart message!

It was too good to be true, and of course, after writing a lengthy 3-part message, I tried to send it after emerging from the subway and my Bberry flatly refused, stating "protocol error". I then had a hell of a time trying to cut it down to the paltry 140 characters this network allows... This is brutal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast