Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When I'm writing a text message it limits me to 140 characters instead of splitting ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Sh4d0w no está en línea Stack level 1

8830 doesn't split SMS text up?

Advertisement

When I'm writing a text message it limits me to 140 characters instead of splitting it up into multiple messages like it's supposed to.

Anyone know what's up with this? It's a Telus (CDMA) 8830

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: 8830 doesn't split SMS text up?

I'm surprised it's only 140 characters. Mine is 160 - which is the limit on SMS messages. It's working properly (more or less).

If you have a recipient who can't receive 140 (or 160) characters, you'll need to watch the readout and send the length they need (which is non-standard).
    JerryD

nyucdbb no está en línea Stack level 1

I was told by Verizon that the 8830 is not an enhanced text messaging device, which means that we are limited to 160 characters at a time.
    John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I'm fine with not being able to send a single really long message. but every phone I've had up until now will split a single long message into several shorter messages and this is even advertised as being the case on blackberries.....

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i noticed my 8830 does the same thing and sometimes i find myself saying why do a $200 phone do more then a $560 phone

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    i noticed my 8830 does the same thing and sometimes i find myself saying why do a $200 phone do more then a $560 phone
    Again, the BlackBerry is adhering to the standard.
    As suggested by the name "Short Message Service", the data that can be held by an SMS message is very limited. One SMS message can contain at most 140 bytes (1120 bits) of data, so one SMS message can contain up to:
    • 160 characters if 7-bit character encoding is used. (7-bit character encoding is suitable for encoding Latin characters like English alphabets.)
    • 70 characters if 16-bit Unicode UCS2 character encoding is used. (SMS text messages containing non-Latin characters like Chinese characters should use 16-bit character encoding.)
    This also accounts for why some devices have a 140 character limit, and some (like mine) have a 160 character limit. If you go into Options --> SMS, if you have Data Coding set to 7 Bit, you'll have 160 characters. If you have it set to UCS2, your maximum message length will be 70 Characters. I assume if you're using a language that requires 8 Bit coding, you'll have a maximum of 140 characters.

AND it can still spell check - more than a $200 DOES.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 11-05-2007 at 07:01 AM.
    JerryD

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    As suggested by the name "Short Message Service", the data that can be held by an SMS message is very limited. One SMS message can contain at most 140 bytes (1120 bits) of data, so one SMS message can contain up to:
    • 160 characters if 7-bit character encoding is used. (7-bit character encoding is suitable for encoding Latin characters like English alphabets.)
    • 70 characters if 16-bit Unicode UCS2 character encoding is used. (SMS text messages containing non-Latin characters like Chinese characters should use 16-bit character encoding.)
    This also accounts for why some devices have a 140 character limit, and some (like mine) have a 160 character limit. If you go into Options --> SMS, if you have Data Coding set to 7 Bit, you'll have 160 characters. If you have it set to UCS2, your maximum message length will be 70 Characters. I assume if you're using a language that requires 8 Bit coding, you'll have a maximum of 140 characters.

AND it can still spell check - more than a $200 DOES.

I see nothing in your quote standards regarding a rule against automatically splitting up larger text messages......

Every other phone I've used sms on in the past has split them up and prefixed the message with a (1/3), (2/3), (3/3) and so on. Blackberry's approach of just capping you at the max without any form of splitting up, sucks.
    Last edited by Sh4d0w; 11-05-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
    I see nothing in your quote standards regarding a rule against automatically splitting up larger text messages......

Every other phone I've used sms on in the past has split them up and prefixed the message with a (1/3), (2/3), (3/3) and so on. Blackberry's approach of just capping you at the max without any form of splitting up, sucks.
    You know, you should try it before you start flaming about it.

Once again, BlackBerry does this, and allows up to SIX 160 character (or whatever the encoding's max is) messages to be sent as a single message - and received as 1 of x, 2 of x, etc.

I don't understand what your beef is.
    JerryD

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    You know, you should try it before you start flaming about it.

Once again, BlackBerry does this, and allows up to SIX 160 character (or whatever the encoding's max is) messages to be sent as a single message - and received as 1 of x, 2 of x, etc.

I don't understand what your beef is.
    My beef is that what you are saying, DOES NOT HAPPEN.

There is a counter at the top of the msg window showing the number of characters. As soon as I enter 140 and the # is reduced to 0, any attempt to input more results in a popup window with a little (I) icon saying "Field Full".

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

BlackBerry didn't limit the 8830 to one 160 character text message at a time. Verizon did. If you check other 8800 series phones available like for T-Mobile and AT&T, they have the multi page texting capability. This post just reminded me however that if the Pearl doesn't have multi page texting I'm not getting it. I'm not saying this feature or lack there of should bother most people, but for me it's just about one of the biggest incoveniences I've ever had to deal with. Especially coming off the Pearl for T-Mobile. I agree completely, why should my Samsung a-990 have multi page texting and my do almost everything BlackBerry with a full keyboard not have multi page texting. It's completely and utterly lame.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjoedotcom View Post
    BlackBerry didn't limit the 8830 to one 160 character text message at a time. Verizon did. If you check other 8800 series phones available like for T-Mobile and AT&T, they have the multi page texting capability. This post just reminded me however that if the Pearl doesn't have multi page texting I'm not getting it. I'm not saying this feature or lack there of should bother most people, but for me it's just about one of the biggest incoveniences I've ever had to deal with. Especially coming off the Pearl for T-Mobile. I agree completely, why should my Samsung a-990 have multi page texting and my do almost everything BlackBerry with a full keyboard not have multi page texting. It's completely and utterly lame.
    I'm not on Verizon, I'm on Telus.... however both networks are CDMA. Anyone know if Sprint is also limited like this?

Coming from a WM6 device to my 8830 so far I've been extremely satisfied but this is like you said, so far the biggest inconvenience I've had to deal with on this device.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

Hmm, interesting. Then it could a 8830 thing.

davidscott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c28f5e

Yah i have the 8830 and it limits me.. which sucks but ive learned to deal with it.

apart from this on my phone.. everything is fine

tgowin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B

I believe more and more the phones will have to comply with this style (character count) to be in sync with the upgraded systems that are to come out over the next several years. (i'm not that smart... How it was explained to me by a system engineer)

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
    I'm not on Verizon, I'm on Telus.... however both networks are CDMA. Anyone know if Sprint is also limited like this?

Coming from a WM6 device to my 8830 so far I've been extremely satisfied but this is like you said, so far the biggest inconvenience I've had to deal with on this device.
    Sprint is also limited to the single message, VERY annoying. As you mention every other phone I have ever had simply split the message into two (or three) SMS's. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong until I realized that it is some sort of built in "lock" that prevents your message from being split. If anyone can figure out how to get CDMA 8830's to split SMS messages PLEASE LET US KNOW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast