I have never had a Blackberry but need to bite the bullet for work, I ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

kabeeo no está en línea Stack level 2

8830 Complaints?

Advertisement

I have never had a Blackberry but need to bite the bullet for work, I have Verizon and don't want to switch. I don't see a lot of complaints here about the 8830 and assume that it is a decent unit. I really only need it for Phone, Contacts and Calendar and plan to use third party software to hook up to public calendars and contacts on my company's server. Any input?

Thanks.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Re: 8830 Complaints?

I love mine. No complaints here. I love the fact that I'm live on BES. I'm never without information!

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a group that is distributing these. They are pretty good and I'm typing this on a VZW 8830 right now.

Here are the cons:
    1a) The keyboard stinks. The keys are jammed together with no space between them so get used to typos.

1b) The blue backlight makes is very difficult to see the keys in low light. In high light or no light its OK but when there is low light you can't see the keys.

2) The GPS is disabled in software. Verizon had RIM do this. All the other carriers' 8800 and 8830 devices have a functioning GPS--just not Verizon.

3) Verizon had RIM cripple the media player. It plays MP3s and WMA audio files just fine but, as a general statement, movies will not work. People have even moved their MicroSD card from other carriers' 8800s and 8830s where the movies work just fine and they won't play on the Verizon 8830. It can be done but I've found its just not worth all the aggrevation.

If you can live with these limitations its a decent unit.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Thumbs up Re: 8830 Complaints?

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

3) Verizon had RIM cripple the media player. It plays MP3s and WMA audio files just fine but, as a general statement, movies will not work. People have even moved their MicroSD card from other carriers' 8800s and 8830s where the movies work just fine and they won't play on the Verizon 8830. It can be done but I've found its just not worth all the aggrevation.

If you can live with these limitations its a decent unit.
    Movies work fine on my 8830. I haven't had a problem playing any of the one's that I have transferred over and I don't do anything special when transferring. I wish that the sound would play through my BT headset, but that is a small inconvenience.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~What do you do to get movies to play well? I've had the sound drift out sync with the video, had the video skip, had the voice so soft yo could barely hear it,had some not play at all, etc.

I've used Super and Seabyrd and tried all the recommended settings and tried lots in between all of them. I created music videos that worked, but I have never been able to get a full length movie to work all the way through.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

personally i think its an awesome phone, ive used it (dont own one, previously had an 8100 through tmobile) but its very user friendly, and i think alot better then the 8700. Plus its a WorldPhone (great for us business traveling folks)

Best of both worlds, Great Verizon network, plus roaming on GSM. Virtually Service worldwide with no interruptions.

Hopefully the new Pearl through Verizon will be just as good
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I like it...It will play video tho.. You must use the transfer software, think its roxio, to convert and copy to the devices card... Ive got 2 full length movies, and a few of my sci-fi shows. and still have enough room for about a gig of music... LOVE IT!!
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3

Make sure the sales person installs the SIM card if you plan on going overseas. The so called World Edition phone will not work once you get there without one. There is also no way for them to fix this problem until you get back to the states. They f*cked me over on my trip to France for a week long business trip by forgetting to do this.

Also, my BT stereo headphones keep cutting in and out while walking. It sucks. The BT does not work for movies either.

It also sucks that Verizon disables the GPS functions. There salespeople actually lie to you and state that RIM did this. Not true.

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

No complaints here, I've been with Verizon 5+ years and generally happy, just bought my first BB (8830) and am very happy. Took it to Europe in July and it worked perfectly! Just had a big bill when I came home. (lol)