Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a bit of a quandry, after trying and returning a Pearl from T-Mobile ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

baerenator no está en línea Stack level 2

8830 and the 8300 tough decision.

Advertisement

I have a bit of a quandry, after trying and returning a Pearl from T-Mobile (the coverage in my area of Georgia was questionable) I got an 8830 from Verizon and I also ordered an 8300 from ATT, I have found comparisions for the ATT 8800 vs the 8300 but none for the 8830 vs 8300, so for those of you who are trying to decide here is my take.

The 8830 is slightly larger in length and width but it is thinner the screen size is identical however, I find the screen on the Verizon model to be a bit more crisp in appearence, I definately like Verizon's theme better than ATT's. From a feel standpoint, the 8300 has rubberized outside grips which the 8830 does not have, but the case on the 8300 feels cheap compared to the 8830 which appears to have better overall fit and finish. I don't have a scale but the 8830 feels a tad bit heavier but not so much that it makes holding it on a long conversation an issue. The keyboards are drastically different, the 8300 has keys you can feel and are easy to see when backlit, the 8830 has blue back lighting and isn't as easy to see, however that may be age and eyesight I do find that I make fewer errors on the 8300 but it may be overcome with extended use. The 3.5 mm standard headphone jack on the 8300 is a welcome addition and about time, the 8830 still had the 2.5 mm style. The audio for calls is equal, but the ringer on the 8300 is much louder and this is my biggest complaint on the 8830, the ringers are quiet even at the loudest settings, if it is holstered and you are in a noisey place you probaby won't hear it and the vibration is weak so it isn't much help.

ATT has plied the phone with with many multimedia apps, most of which I probably wouldn't use (frankly prefer my iPod) along with quite a few places to buy add ons from the home screen, the XM streaming music app is 8.99 a month for 25 channels, I have XM in the car, I'm paying a few dollars a month more on the extended plan for the vehicle and getting all the channels, it doesn't appear to be a good value, I cannot find any info to see if existing XM subscribers get a break. The Tele Nav option on the phone is another setup to get you to but the premium version at 9.99 month, the basic is ok if you only need main streets, but anything off main roads doesn't show. The 8830 has the 8300 beat here since the basic version has street level maps the 8830 also has a GPS the 8300 doesn't. I believe there is an app on Handango that can be added to the 8830 to get real time GPS capabilities. I guess you could just use Google maps though on the 8300 and level the field. The 8300 has the 2.0 megapixel camera which the 8830 doesn't have I have never been a big phone camera person but I find myself wishing the 8830 had the feature, the camera will not beat out a dedicated camera and it is useless for close up shots but it does take a decient quality picture.

Getting email on either is a snap, the spell checkers are great and if you use gmail download and get the dedicated app for it. The browser speed is definately better on the 8830 version due to the Verizon EVDO network, the 8300 is slower but not so much that it is unbearable, unless you have an extreme type A personality. That being said dedicated apps for weather like Weather Channel or Handmark Pocket Express will perform noticeably faster on the 8830 as will larger OTA downloads. Also adding on teathering with Verizon is less costly than with ATT, the Verizon add on is $15.00 while ATT wanted $75.00, rate plans overall are similar, Verizon is 114.00 with 1350 minutes and unlimited Blackberry web, email etc. and it includes $5.00 for 500 messages (I don't use much text messaging). ATT was 59.99 for 900 minutes with roll over, $39.99 for unlimited Blackberry with 1500 messages included, pricing is pretty much an par depending on your preference for minutes or messaging. So far the networks appear to be pretty close, I am giving the edge to Verizon here outside of Atlanta though.

The rest of the functionality is pretty much identical, they both are a great leap ahead from the older Blackberry's I had used in the past. Coming off a Q most recently and having used a Treo 650 and the 700w I would definately recommend a Blackberry over a WM device or Palm. If you are strictly business the 8830 is probably a better choice, for media it's 8300. So far though I'm in the middle and really having a tough time with which on to keep, I still have a couple of weeks to decide though, I hope that my long winded post didn't offend and help somebody on the fence.

Re: 8830 and the 8300 tough decision.

Oh I forgot the fact the the 8830 can also be used on GSM networks outside of the US, the 8300 should be able to do this since it is already a GSM phone.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

I too, was a Treo user and carried a Berry Pearl for Enterprise email - I will never go back to the Palm OS or WM... at least not WM5 -

It really depends on what matters to you... your message clearly shows you know how to use the BB... the question is do you need the GPS... can you live with the tighter keyboard... is the EVDO speed difference big enough?

If not, the preferable Curve keyboard, the better backlighting, the expansive media features will have you in the Curve fraternity...

I have GPS in my vehicle... that's plenty - for me the decision to drop kick my Pearl onto ebay was easy and my launch day search for the Pearl in my area stores was well worth it...

I'M HOOKED -
    Good luck figuring it out buddy - - -

nealpolshuk no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~likewise.. I was a Bberry user who switched for a short time to the Treo. I am back because I find the Bberry to be a much more productive business tool if only due to the keyboard and push technologies. I am looking forward to the 8300 becoming available through T-mobile.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have an 8830 and love it. I would probably go for a 8300 if verizon offered it. I love the signal and service I get with verizon so having a camera and a slightly better keyboard is not enough for me to make the switch. It all adds up to what's important to you. But on switching to a bb vs palm and wm5. I used a ppc 6700 for awhile and I don't miss it at all.

dcgree no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    221940AC

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have the 8830 from verizon and I couldn't be happier.

Another thing I noticed, the 8300 takes 4 times longer to rebboot, and it is annoyingly longer, it felt like it was never going to restart. I started the reboot on the 8830 after about a minute later and it was done and in sleep mode 2 minutes before the 8300 finished. Another thing is the 8830 has better internal call speaker volume but the ringer is vastly better on the 8300, I called Verizon and ther is no known fix for improved ringer volume other than basic settings which won't cut it in a noisey enviornment

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thanks for the great review

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Good Read!! Me personally I'm happy with the pearl. I was debating between the two for a long while.. And since I like the media features and the functionality of my pearl, I would get the Curve

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I can't speak for the 8830 as I have only had my hands on one once. As a former Pearl owner, I was in love with my Pearl and had no desire for anything else. Now that I have the Curve, I can truely say it is surprising how much more I like it than the Pearl. Just from everything I've read, the 8830 sounds like a great phone, but also sounds something like a Curve minus certain apps with a few other slightly negative differences, and fewer positives.
    Did that make any sense???

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You really need to consider coverage with the two carriers as your top priority. Make the most of the trial periods with the two carriers. If it's equivalent as far as you're concerned it's then down to your personal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by ikasen
    Just from everything I've read, the 8830 sounds like a great phone, but also sounds something like a Curve minus certain apps with a few other slightly negative differences, and fewer positives.
    Did that make any sense???
    Again, it comes down to personal needs/wants. They're different devices. One size doesn't fit all and you have to choose based on what suits you. Your positives may be someone else's negatives so broad generalizations like that are meaningless.

For example -- I won't consider any SureType device because I know I can't stand it. I've also found the GPS on my 8800 invaluable when traveling. The camera would be a plus but it's not critical so I'm not going to bother with the 8300. I also prefer GSM carriers over CDMA as I like to be able to change devices at my whim and not my carrier's and I like having access to the latest BB's. I also won't consider Verizon since they cripple devices. Obviously, YMMV.

Since TMO's coverage doesn't meet my needs that leaves me with at&t and the 8800 until a GPS-equipped 83xx comes along. Hopefully by putting in your preferences you can see why you'd end up at an entirely different decision. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-11-2007 at 04:32 PM.

I definately have taken all that into consideration, rest of family is with Verizon since they just use phones so the obvious benefit is in calling. I tried TMO for the circle but the coverage sucks here, ATT and Verizon are both fine here and at home so that's a draw. If I had to pick a best one for overall coverage anywhere we go I'd have to say Verizon would win out. Yes the crippling of features (GPS in this one) is irritaing, but it is due to them wanting to sell VZ nav down the road, ATT did it with TeleNav on the 8300, the crippled version is free, you want the full version it's 9.99 but like I said you can beat them with Google maps for free and it works better anyway, plus I have a real GPS so frankly doesn't matter. The ring volume is the one thing I am really stuck on with the 8830, it's bad and it may end up being the feature that kills the deal and pushes me to the 8300, the keypad though worries me, I wonder how durable the finish on the keys will be. I'm getting way too anal on this, but I probably will have it awhile, I don't have the resources to keep changing phones out eveytime a new face hits the street.

A final note to this thread, I ended up with the 8800 from ATT, the 8300 was just not right and the 8830 was probably great but too many features crippled or not working right, the 8800 was the best choice for me after looking at all of them.

jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

me i will go for the 8300

BBwannabe no está en línea Stack level 3

I've been able to compare AT&T's service with VZW's, and it's not even close - Verizon is much, much better. I live where I get fantastic coverage from both, and the Curve came up short on the voice side of things. It's a fantastic device, no doubt, but ulitimately I couldn't switch to AT&T because I really do rely on the phone part of my BB as much as the data.

On the plus side of things for the Curve, I really didn't notice too much of a difference between EDGE and EVDO, so I think that's a wash.

Quite frankly, I think the Curve only has two items over the 8830: camera and keyboard. And keyboard is more preference than anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast