Hello everyone, i just wanted to let everyone know that there is an upgrade available ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

biggp no está en línea Stack level 2

8830 4.5.0.175

Advertisement

Hello everyone, i just wanted to let everyone know that there is an upgrade available through blackberry.com for the Blackberry 8830 WE. It is 4.5.0.175. I received an email the other day and downloaded it. So far, so good. I don't really see any major dfferences, but i did notice that my memory increased. Don't ask me how, but it did. I'm so proud of that. Well MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 12-24-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Edited title

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    That does generally happen when you do an OS upgrade.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Will it go back down, or will it stay the same? also, do you know why it does that?

Yes, it'll go back down. It's the nature of these devices.

When you do a battery pull, soft reset, OS upgrade, things of that nature, the device reallocates its memory resources. Daily operation of the device "fragments" the memory and can leave some bits and pieces hanging out there. The aforementioned operations defragment the memory, putting it all back together as much as it can and reusing the bits left hanging. Does that make sense?

Yes it does. i appreciate that. Just like a desk or laptop computer. Now that you've mentioned it, i have noticed a slight drop in memory, but noticed it doesn't leak anywhere like it used to. No more 0 bytes.

Yeah, you'll want to keep a handle on that. Delete old e-mails, texts, call logs, delete unused applications, pictures, ringtones, clear your browser cache, use the memory cleaner function, etc. I used to do this sort of thing daily, doing a soft reset after the housekeeping. I have a 9700 now so don't need to worry about it as much.

There's a thread in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature that outlines many of the things you can do to keep a handle on the device memory.

I do most of the things you mentioned except the soft reset. I looked at the memory on my sister's curve and was blown away compared to mine!!! I'm now looking for another phone. I like the droid, but want to at least try the storm or storm 2 first. Thank for all your input. I think I'm gonna just do an upgrade.