Will have an 8830 soon to play with; hopefully this week sometime.... BlackBerry 8830 forum

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Advertisement

Will have an 8830 soon to play with; hopefully this week sometime.

fbriceno97 Guest

Re: 8830

Woo enjoy it, and please share your opinion and experience.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Is/will it be available for pre-order it so we can have it in hand on the 14th (for us work users)?

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba
    Is/will it be available for pre-order it so we can have it in hand on the 14th (for us work users)?
    available now for corparate users; then everyone else on the 28th

SpiceMan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

(ALSO POSTED IN THE "CYCLONE" THREAD)

Received the 8830 today and it's a true work of art. Wonderfully thin, yet with enough weight to give it substance and a keyboard that's reasonable to type on, though still a bit cramped. What's funny is that it arrived quite by accident. We ordered another model for a user and they shipped the 8830 instead. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to play with this one since the rep hasn't come through with our evaluation unit yet.

Anyway, the only oddity so far is that the device won't charge from the USB port. The message on the screen seems to indicate that the output wattage isn't sufficient, so it's plugged into the AC right now.

I'm currently a 7130 user and I absolutely LOVE the device and the SureType software. I'm a firm believer that anyone who doesn't like SureType never gave it a real chance to begin with. I've also got about 70 of them deployed to remote salespeople and, aside from an occasional lost unit, the 7130 has been very reliable and extremely durable.

The 8830 is pretty, but I have some concerns about how well it will fare when dropped. Also, I'm not crazy about the feel of the trackball. It's too light and moves too easily. I'd prefer if it felt more like a marble with a little resistance to it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 8830 brings a lot to the table that could make people switch over to it (voice dialing, media player, memory card, GSM, etc.), but I'm interested to see what other users think before embracing it.

If you've got one, please share your experience here.

Regards.

nuts930 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SpiceMan
    (ALSO POSTED IN THE "CYCLONE" THREAD)

Received the 8830 today and it's a true work of art. Wonderfully thin, yet with enough weight to give it substance and a keyboard that's reasonable to type on, though still a bit cramped. What's funny is that it arrived quite by accident. We ordered another model for a user and they shipped the 8830 instead. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to play with this one since the rep hasn't come through with our evaluation unit yet.

Anyway, the only oddity so far is that the device won't charge from the USB port. The message on the screen seems to indicate that the output wattage isn't sufficient, so it's plugged into the AC right now.

I'm currently a 7130 user and I absolutely LOVE the device and the SureType software. I'm a firm believer that anyone who doesn't like SureType never gave it a real chance to begin with. I've also got about 70 of them deployed to remote salespeople and, aside from an occasional lost unit, the 7130 has been very reliable and extremely durable.

The 8830 is pretty, but I have some concerns about how well it will fare when dropped. Also, I'm not crazy about the feel of the trackball. It's too light and moves too easily. I'd prefer if it felt more like a marble with a little resistance to it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 8830 brings a lot to the table that could make people switch over to it (voice dialing, media player, memory card, GSM, etc.), but I'm interested to see what other users think before embracing it.

If you've got one, please share your experience here.

Regards.
    First off, I have been using the 7130 for the last 2 months waiting for the 8830 to be released and HATE the suretype. I gave it a chance and I still hate it. I agree that the keyboard is a little cramped. However, IMO the trackball is much better than the scroll wheel on the side. After playing with it for less than 15 mins, it felt natural. The voice activated dialing is great. You can call anyone in your address book without having to pre-record your voice. I am very impressed with this feature. I have not had a chance to play with all the features, but for the 6 or so hours I have had the 8830, I am very impressed. Much better than any other BB I have used.

ofelas no está en línea Stack level 3

nuts930 - without voice training,, will it recognize a strong Southern accent? LOL.

nuts930 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ofelas
    nuts930 - without voice training,, will it recognize a strong Southern accent? LOL.
    Hmmm, good question. Unfortunatly, everyone in my office and my friends are accent neutral. Since the tourist are starting to pour into town, it should not be too hard to find someone on the street with a Southern accent to test it!

ofelas no está en línea Stack level 3

Heck, all I have to do is test it myself