So i'm traveling to Amsterdam in two weeks. I was told that I should purchase ... International Stackers forum

disassemble no está en línea Stack level 2

Post Going To Amsterdam. Do i need an Unlocked phone?!?!

Advertisement

So i'm traveling to Amsterdam in two weeks. I was told that I should purchase an unlocked phone with no sim card from ebay. When i get to the Netherlands I will be able to purchase a SIM card and throw it in the phone and vwala! the phone should be set for international calls.

Is this accurate info? What else do i need to know. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    diaassemble, You can certainly do that but I would check into the carriers available in the Netherlands to see what's available, cost and features of the plans, etc. The phone part is easy. Depending on how many features you want to use that require data, etc. it may get a little more involved but all is doable.

You should be able to find plenty of info on the internet. One provider of prepaid SIMS is Telestial. You could probably do better going straight to the carrier/provider once you know who services that area. O2, Orange and SFR are European providers - I'm not sure of their coverages but you can compare their plans to get an idea and maybe one of them will lead to something. Good luck!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

thanks for the help! i think my first plan of attack is purchasing a cheapo unlocked phone off ebay. then i can move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by disassemble View Post
    thanks for the help! i think my first plan of attack is purchasing a cheapo unlocked phone off ebay. then i can move forward.
    Just make sure your get one with the European bands on it. If you choose a quad-band phone you won't have to worry about it anywhere....and, as always, be cautious and try to check your seller carefully. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Just make sure your get one with the European bands on it. If you choose a quad-band phone you won't have to worry about it anywhere....and, as always, be cautious and try to check your seller carefully. Good luck.

what are the euopeans bands>? CDM>? or is that verizon US network...

can u give me a link to a phone that would work over sea's? (ebay? )

Quote Originally Posted by disassemble View Post
    what are the euopeans bands>? CDM>? or is that verizon US network...

can u give me a link to a phone that would work over sea's? (ebay? )
    Here are the bands and where they are used: GSM-900 and GSM-1800 are used in most parts of the world: Europe, Middle East, Africa and most of Asia. In south Americas it is in Costa Rica (GSM-1800), Brazil (GSM-850, 900 and 1800), Guatemala (GSM-850, GSM-900 and 1900), El Salvador (GSM-850, GSM-900 and 1900).

GSM-850 and GSM-1900 are used in the United States, Canada, and many other countries in the Americas.

You can get a phone with all four bands or phones with just the 900 and 1800 if you're not going to use it in the states. These are GSM phones - CDMA phones aren't as widely used world-wide.

Any unlocked (you can only unlock GSM phones) phone with all four bands will work anywhere. You just need to look at the specs for the phone before you buy it - that will tell you what bands it has.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 11-04-2008 at 04:14 PM.

excellent. thank you. I will just get the cheapest phone that only works in the Netherlands because i don't need it in USA. thanksssss

gearupflapsup no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    A couple of things. Consider an unlocked RAZRor similar phone. I carry one as a backup. Check Craigslist or ebay. $20-$40. USB charging ports are pretty prevalent. If you are flying into Schipol, Amsterdam's international airports, you will exit the gate area to a broad gallery with many kiosks and numerous sellers of cell phone starter kits. They are all fine but make sure to get one with free inbound calls. You can email the number home to friends and family and stay in touch that way. Pin me if I can help.

gearupflapsup no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Another option if you are a t-mobile user. (I am and this is my usual MO, when traveling overseas for an extended time). I have the international email option. I change my voicemail message to indicate I only check voicemail three times a week. So please email me. I spell out the addy and promise to answer in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by gearupflapsup View Post
    A couple of things. Consider an unlocked RAZRor similar phone. I carry one as a backup. Check Craigslist or ebay. $20-$40. USB charging ports are pretty prevalent. If you are flying into Schipol, Amsterdam's international airports, you will exit the gate area to a broad gallery with many kiosks and numerous sellers of cell phone starter kits. They are all fine but make sure to get one with free inbound calls. You can email the number home to friends and family and stay in touch that way. Pin me if I can help.
    thanks for your help buddy! shoot me a link from ebay of a phone that would be suitable for me. and i'll buy it! i guees i just need quad band unlocked phone right?

verizon service......

jonah1982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    322B4F2E

best site for overseas carrier info

www.gsmworld.com

You can get all the carriers info per country, what technology and what bands they use. You can get a phone before you leave on ebay or you can pick up a prepaid phone from any local shop for very cheap. I got a phone in a t-mobile shop in Amsterdam for 30 euros and it included 10 euros of minutes on it already.