Hi....this might sound stupid but, we all know that pin to pin is free as ... US & Canadian Stackers forum

hybrid009 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3022afe5

Thumbs up Pin to Pin is free, but what is the actual data usage? " curious "

Advertisement

Hi....this might sound stupid but, we all know that pin to pin is free as long as you have a data package, but what made me think is that, yes it is for free but it uses a very minimal portion of the data. I've heard from someone that yes it does use data but he didn't know what was the exact size... and now digging on my curiosity.... does pin to pin use the data per pin sent or the number of characters being used.... I need input in here my fellow stacker's...
    Last edited by reddog187; 07-22-2008 at 12:26 AM.

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803
    I would figure that since it uses data that it does not go by characters but by actual data. But Im sure there is a way to put a certain amount of data per character.

Well you could I guess test it out by using only the BB messenger all month long and no other emails and then see what your usage is? JK JK that would be drastic!!

I am curious as to why you would like to know this. It seems like useless information but it now has me curious as well! hA!!

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Blackberry messenger uses extremely little data, although I'm not sure of the exact amount.

If you only have a limited amount of data per month and still surf the web you have nothing to worry about.

PIN/ID
    3022afe5
    ahhaa..that would be a long process though.... but this is just out of curiousity... but think of it... would it be nice if a non BB user asks that question randomly..... lol we gota back up our BBs!

PIN/ID
    3022afe5
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post

Blackberry messenger uses extremely little data, although I'm not sure of the exact amount.

If you only have a limited amount of data per month and still surf the web you have nothing to worry about.

yes I do have unlimited data....but that minimal amount of data usage really challenges and boggles my mind.....

PIN/ID
    3022afe5
    :d

PIN/ID
    3022afe5
    hmmmm

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    That would be nice to know. lol.

~via 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I could calculate it out but it would take me a long time as I'd have to go through our sql and web logs...Ahh man would that ever be a headache.... I'll leave it to someone else to calculate

PIN/ID
    3022afe5
    ive been googling this problem but nobody seems to pinpoint the actualy data or equivalency...

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

That's because the usage is so minute its not even worth it. You would use more data just browsing the web on your Blackberry for 15 minutes than you would using messenger for 10 hours in a month. Its raw text. It is negligible.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post

That's because the usage is so minute its not even worth it. You would use more data just browsing the web on your Blackberry for 15 minutes than you would using messenger for 10 hours in a month. Its raw text. It is negligible.
    That makes since.

~via 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

naturefreak85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's less than 1K for 160 Char.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Old thread, but if you want to know the real answer, here it is.

The amount of data used is the actual characters sent. This is true for all data.

Each character is one byte, thus, to send the word

Hello

Requires 5 bytes. Here is where it gets interesting. If RIM employs compression (which I doubt) on Messenger, than you can assume 50% compression for text. Five bytes would become three bytes (well 2.5 rounded up)

They do compress other data, I am just not sure about Messenger.

It sounds minimal, but it adds up. You count characters and spaces.

160 characters is 160 bytes. There are 1024 bytes in 1 kilobyte. 1 Megabyte has 1,048,576 bytes. Most email does not have over a million characters. You can see how little data uses when text is involved. If compression is used, expect it to be less (at least 50%, maybe more)

The entire world is metric except for the US. Time to crawl out of the caves people.