Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Here's an interesting note about IM'ing... Specifically YIM..... I was on the phone with the ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

yahoo on cingular... again....

Advertisement

Here's an interesting note about IM'ing... Specifically YIM.....

I was on the phone with the BB tech support this evening, about some other issue that that screwed up... But I asked them about YIM and the BB. They stated that it doesn't work, and I said I know that, but I want to know why..... Didn't have an answer, so I brought up the fact that there normal phones having the ability but not the BB. I then ask her, that if it's a paid for service on the normal phones, can I just pay that service charge like a normal phone.... Puts me on hold again, to get the answer to that. When she comes back, she says it doesn't work like that... I say ok. So, if the software (YIM) comes from the blackberry site, how does it not work? She puts me on hold yet again... Comes back and says that, it's possible to get it to work on the BB through cingular but wont tell me how.

So, there is a way to get it to work. Anyone want to take a stab at getting that to work?

Dr. Woo

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

codymac no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203BC0CE

Re: yahoo on cingular... again....

Yes, there is a way to get it to work. Can I post links to other BB sites here?

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

It certainly doesn't work with O2. I've given up after trying and getting a dooh! response from the O2 tekkies (all of whom are reeeeely helpful but seem to know very little about BBs)

PIN/ID
    203BC0CE

I got it to work by doing the following:

Okay, so, I'm going to start off by saying that, yes, I'm new here, but no stranger to BlackBerry handsets m'self. However, I have learned a great deal from these forums, and in turn would like to contribute something back, here.

Research in Motion's Yahoo! Messenger client (located at http://www.blackberry.com/go/yahoo) requires a specific Y!M service book to be able to function on any given handset. Now, as I'm sure some of you are well-aware, Cingular Wireless sadly does and will not currently provision the Y!M service book (BBFS2) when downloading/installing Y!M. However, other service providers will, and I have taken the liberty of seperating into a Backup/Restore file the service book for Y!M into a nice, easy Backup/Restore File, which can be loaded up right into the device via the Desktop Manager Backup/Restore (I'm sorry, no desktop solutions for Mac users yet, but stay tuned!). Just make sure that you remember that this is going to delete all your current service books, so you 'll need to manually register via the Host Routing Table editor in Settings > Options/Advanced Options to get your books back. Also, you'll need to log into your BIS account and resend the service books from there, as well as regenerate any encryption keys if you're using the Desktop Redirector or are on a BES (don't forget to have your friendly neighborhood BES admin create an IT policy enabling Y!M traffic, too).

Now, the other way this can be done involves inserting another GSM carrier SIM card (such as T-Mobile, for example) and downloading/installing Y!M from http://www.blackberry.com/go/yahoo from there. At that point, you should check your service books and make sure that you've got "BBFS2 [YHO]" listed, then switch back the SIM card to your Cingular SIM (your handset must be unlocked to proceed, though).

Basically, there are just a few steps to go through here:

#1: Download the .ipd backup file here:
    http://www.boomspeed.com/setzer/yaho...rvice_book.ipd

#2: Restore the file to your handset using Desktop Manager (see https://cingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB4717.html for instructions).

#3: Manually register your handset with the RIM network via the HRT editor (see https://cingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB49643.html for instructions).

#4: Log into your BIS account and re-send BIS service books:
    BIS 1.8 (from PC) - https://cingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB2355.html
    BIS 2.0 (from PC) - https://cingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB64052.html
    BIS 2.0 (from handset) - https://cingular.atgnow.com/cng/tutorials/KB64276.html

#5: If applicable, regenerate encryption keys for Desktop Manager or BES. If you're on a BES, again, make sure your BES admin can create a policy allowing Y!M traffic.

#6: One more thing: if you find that the service does not work right from the install, try doing a hard reset (pulling/reinserting battery).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's not very organized, but I hope you all find this useful. Good luck, and happy messaging. =)
    YMMV

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by codymac
    #1: Download the .ipd backup file here:
    http://www.boomspeed.com/setzer/yaho...rvice_book.ipd
    Thanks but this link doesn't work.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    23D11279

The link doesn't work becuase it was shorted.... just remove the Yah..... part it's at the bottom of the listing there.

Dr. Woo

PIN/ID
    23D11279

SCORE!

Thanks a ton man........ now to get this info all the cingular customers... heh

Dr. Woo

PIN/ID
    203BC0CE

Yeah, you're welcome. You don't know how big this was to me. No more Verichat feeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

PIN/ID
    23D11279

Wasn't that hard to do at all... looks confusing... took all but 5 minutes to complete.

One of these days, I need to try that pin messenger I have installed... heh

Dr. Woo

deryld77 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DEB708

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~So why is cingular being so tight with YIM?

PIN/ID
    23D11279

Good question....

I was thinking it may have something todo with the fact that they offer it on some of the phones possibly some contract issue with yahoo?

Dr. Woo

Flowering no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DE238B

Thumbs up Re: yahoo on cingular... again....

Thank you so much I was just browsing trying to find a way to download a messanger to my device and was frustrated and ready to give up when i couldn't even get veri chat to load when i ran across this forum and got all the answers i needed i had it loaded and working in a matter of minutes i was so happy i joined pinstack immediately! Thank you so much.

PIN/ID
    23D11279

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah, the guide was great. I know I was happy to get it to work. So now I have aim and yim running

Dr. Woo

icegrill no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2415259c

thanx to dr. woo i was able to get mine running..
    holla atcha boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast