I currently have the treo 650 thru sprint. I have had a treo for about ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

pdachica no está en línea Stack level 1

Will I be happy with my BB 8703e (currently have treo 650)

Advertisement

I currently have the treo 650 thru sprint. I have had a treo for about 2 years. The last 6 mos I have had constant dropped calls. I work from home and travel alot for business. I need a phone that is STABLE.

Lots of people I know have the BB I have LOVED my treo, but decided that stability is more important (not professional when I am on the phone with a client and have 2 dropped calls KWIM)

I called Sprint and told them of my problem, been loyal customer for over 5 years (have 5 cells on a plan etc) I am was due for a partial upgrade ($75 ) But not til Feb.

I talked to the retention dept and she agreed to get me the 8703e at web pricing etc so I only pay $199

Of course now I am wondering am I going to LOVE the BB

-I am CONSTANTLY using the web browsing to kill time, but to check email
    -Bummed there isn't an SD slot as I put files on there so I can do some light work (word and excel)
    -use memos and calendar sync all the time to desktop
    -I know its a sucky camera on the 650 but I admit I did use it for quick snap (I know not full resolution)
    -I only paid $5 or so for the vision, but the BB 'vision' plan is $40 a month
    -do I need to purchase additional program to run word/excel?

She told me I have 30 days to try the BB if I am not happy I could try the new treo 700

---------------------------
    Did I make the right decision

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Will I be happy with my BB 8703e (currently have treo 650)

We are baised here. We think everyone should love a BlackBerry. Try it out and see what you think.

There are 3rd party applications available for the BlackBerry to run word and excel.

I surf the web all the time on my Berry. When I am too lazy to walk into the computer room mostly.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

pdachica, Welcome to PinStack.

I'm going to guess that you will enjoy the 8703. It does have some limitations, but all in all it's a great communications tool. As Melissa said, you will need 3rd Party App to work with the Word and Excel files, but they can be read when received as attachments to email.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

most people who make the switch are VERY happy with their new blackberry. give the 30 day trial a try!

senna174 no está en línea Stack level 2

I went from a BB 8703e to a Treo750v with BB connect. Love it. If your usage is more business centric, then a Treo with BBC is probably you best bet. Everyone on this board can tell you otherwise, however, the truth is BB doesn't allow you to edit work or excel docs without buying an application, and one of the most important feature isn't available, at least for me - ability to store files on the handheld.

Just my $0.02.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello pdachica, welcome to pinstack. You will enjoy your BB. If you need anything, ringers, games, etc, just let us know.

morrisonm no está en línea Stack level 1

I just made this move and am happy with every thing but the speed dial issue. Basically I call a certain group of people on a regular basis.. (monthly) the recent called list just doesn't hack it. What I had on my treo is a speed dial list that showed up on the main screen. I have yet to find a utility to do something like that? And getting to the speed dial list that is built in to the black berry is quite a few steps. Any help on this would be appreciated!!! but other than that the blackberry is more stable.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Welcome to Pinstack pdachica, try the BB for the trial period it is a very stable device but it does have its limitations try for a couple of weeks at least to see if it meets your needs.

mwmonahan no está en línea Stack level 1

I just converted from a Treo 650 to an 8703e. I used the Palm software for so long, I didn't think I would ever be able to use a non-touch screen. The BB took a few days to get used to but now I can get around with one hand. I will not go back to the Treo. The email on the BB is so much better and it sync's effortlessly with my outlook. Memory has not been as issue with me so far and I have added several add-on programs, have two email accounts that each get approx 30 emails per day, and my full calendar and contacts list. The Sprint BB plan can be used to tether your laptop so I cancelled my WWAN Verizon card which more than offset the cost of the BB plan.

Morrisonm complained about the speed dial function and I fixed that problem by setting up new contacts for my regular numbers using a prefix on the name. "Office" became "AA1 Office", "Home" became "AA2 Home", etc so these are the first items that come up on my list. But it is so easy to get to a contact anyway, it is really not necessary.

If I need an office doc I use RDM+ that logs right into my desktop and gives me complete control. I am glad I changed and would not go back.

senna174 no está en línea Stack level 2

I guess I just got so used to the WM5 world. I was using bb back in the days...like 6-7 years ago. Then I stopped using any PDA device cause I didn't want to carry another device. I started using PDAP about 3 years and can't live without one now. I never liked the Palm OS and has also been a hugh fan of WM, and even more for the WM5. BB is a very very good device, but I am better off with a WM5 device than a BB for what I do. I will never discourage anyone to not buy a BB because it is an excellent device. Every device has its own niche that requires learning curve. Good luck with your choice and I am sure it will be the right one.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Well palm has a lot more free apps and multimedia support .the 8700 is a good device and very stable as long as your not into multimedia I think you will like the 8700

pdachica no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks. I will definitely give the BB a try. I mean worse case I would go back to the treo 700

UGH!

I did take my current treo 650 in and they ordered a new (off the insurance) that will be in on Fri...BB will be in tues/wed

tl_1981 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by pdachica
    Thanks. I will definitely give the BB a try. I mean worse case I would go back to the treo 700

UGH!

I did take my current treo 650 in and they ordered a new (off the insurance) that will be in on Fri...BB will be in tues/wed
    I was in the same boat.....loved the function of a Treo but sick of the crashes. When it came down to it, I worked all day with a computer and obviously had one at home so really all I used it for was email. I made the switch from a treo 650 to a bberry 8703 and love it so far. So stable. The only thing I miss is the mp3 capability but I got an Ipod instead

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by pdachica
    I currently have the treo 650 thru sprint. I have had a treo for about 2 years. The last 6 mos I have had constant dropped calls. I work from home and travel alot for business. I need a phone that is STABLE.

Lots of people I know have the BB I have LOVED my treo, but decided that stability is more important (not professional when I am on the phone with a client and have 2 dropped calls KWIM)
    Are you sure that your dropped calls are due to the device and not the network?

Stability is a huge plus in favor of the Blackberry. IMO all the whistles and bells are pretty pointless if you're busy troubleshooting or resetting all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonm
    IAnd getting to the speed dial list that is built in to the black berry is quite a few steps. Any help on this would be appreciated!!!
    Quite a few steps? On 8700's all you have to do is press the green/send button. On older models like the 7290, just hit the phone button on top.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You are going to love using a blackberry. I have the 7130e. I'm due for an upgrade in february. I think I'm going to get the 8703e.