Hi all, first, let me say I love my blackberry and this isn't a flamebait, ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

nichos no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Whats the point of BIS? [NOT flamebait!]

Advertisement

Hi all, first, let me say I love my blackberry and this isn't a flamebait, but the whole BIS thing doesn't make sense to me. Maybe because I'm a former Palm user.

Anyway, I wanted to know what the point of having a BIS is? I mean, we're not getting anything else syncing besides email, we're not getting "true" imap (it doesn't sync the whole folder), and on top of all that, it's delayed. Also, using a BIS provides a single point of failure (middle man). My mail servers could be up and running, but because BB is down, I'm out of touch.
    So, why use it?

Thanks for the insight all.

Nick

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    it gives you the web browser now if your on edge the question still applys

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    if you have BES then great use it. But i dont and this is the only i know of to get my e-mails to my BB and access the internet for applications. if there was a free option trust me i would be on it and if i missed something that you know about please share.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Bis gives you the capability of having a server do the work instead of the phone when it comes to retrieval which means lower data useage for those on limited plans.
    It gives you the capability of multiple email addresses to one device for receive and send compared to just one email as on most other devices.
    It gives you a data connection for the internet that compresses web sites automatically for the device instead of the device having to do the conversion which again means less work on the device and lower data useage.
    It gives you a free worldwide messaging service irrelevant of carrier or device using pin to pin messaging.
    More reliable email in my personal history than any other device I have ever used (and I have used all platforms at one point or another except Iphone).

Zo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

JCG3 it's called LogicMail, open source program:
    http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Bis gives you the capability of having a server do the work instead of the phone when it comes to retrieval which means lower data useage for those on limited plans.
    Most people have unlimited data plans now.
    It gives you the capability of multiple email addresses to one device for receive and send compared to just one email as on most other devices.
    Most other devices yes, but no other PDA's (that I know of). Windows and Palm (versamail) can all do multiple email accounts.
    It gives you a data connection for the internet that compresses web sites automatically for the device instead of the device having to do the conversion which again means less work on the device and lower data useage.
    True, but these are decent devices, running things like google maps, video, etc. A webpage rendering isn't that big of deal, is it? As for the data usage, same argument as above.
    It gives you a free worldwide messaging service irrelevant of carrier or device using pin to pin messaging.
    Don't ALL IM programs do that? Regardless of carrier or device? IM is IM that travels over a data network.
    More reliable email in my personal history than any other device I have ever used (and I have used all platforms at one point or another except Iphone).
    Perhaps it's because I've only been a user a few months, and the past few months haven't been good for BB services

Let me ask you this - if you had the CHOICE of going through BIS or just having your mail poll every 1 minute, which would you rather chose? (All things being equal, applications, etc).

Nick

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Pin messaging is only BB to BB over RIM's network. No other device has a PIN (Personal Identification Number that is found in Options>Status>PIN) for messaging.

Here's a whole thread about PIN messaging http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._answered.html

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Pin messaging is only BB to BB over RIM's network. No other device has a PIN (Personal Identification Number that is found in Options>Status>PIN) for messaging.

Here's a whole thread about PIN messaging http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._answered.html

Right, I'm using it now and I think it's great, for all my BB friends, but what does PIN messaging give you? Another account? Why not use AIM or one of those? I mean, is that really a selling point for a BIS?

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Don't ALL IM programs do that? Regardless of carrier or device? IM is IM that travels over a data network.
    On some carriers you have to use text messaging to IM. Because AIM and other IM services are actually blocked in some cases by the carrier. For example, Cingular actually has a block on their data side to prevent Yahoo from being useable unless it is sent as a text message without adding a special service book to a BB device.

Let me ask you this - if you had the CHOICE of going through BIS or just having your mail poll every 1 minute, which would you rather chose? (All things being equal, applications, etc).
    I made this choice when I tried my 8700 out and left my 650 to stay with the BB full time.

Most people in the US have unlimited plans but not everyone around the world.

True, but these are decent devices, running things like google maps, video, etc. A webpage rendering isn't that big of deal, is it? As for the data usage, same argument as above.
    Webpage rendering device side makes pages load slower which in turn requires that the manufacturer put in faster processors and more memory which in turn requires a bigger battery etc.....(for example: Blackjack)

Most other devices yes, but no other PDA's (that I know of). Windows and Palm (versamail) can all do multiple email accounts.
    On my 650 using Versamail, I was only able to set it up for one account. Of course that may have been because all my other accounts were free yahoo accounts and it wouldn't work with them.

Zo

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by nichos View Post
    You must be based in the US. For many countries, it's very expensive to get data and unlimited data is out of the question.

Right. But either you have your device poll rapidly (uses battery) or you manually have to go and check your e-mail. This gets the messages and alerts you. Very convenient.

You're assuming that google maps and the like don't send as little data as possible. I'm guessing they do -- it speeds up the experience for users and makes them happy.

All IM programs are over the network -- but not all carriers allow such use. See above reply.

Perhaps it's because I've only been a user a few months, and the past few months haven't been good for BB services
    Fair enough. Why did you get a BB then?

In my opinion, the e-mail is excellent. Also, you can't get a data plan without getting BIS (at least with the carriers i'm familiar with) so you might as well enjoy it. I'd love for true IMAP. But until that happens, BIS is more than sufficient for me.

Besides -- if you want to get tricky, you can have your accounts forward all your mail to your carrier provided address. That one's instant and you can do some server side things to make reply-to addresses correct and the like. Depends how fancy you want to be.

If you'd rather a different OS, go for it. I won't ask you to use a BB if you don't want to...

Nick[/quote]
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Very good point about the battery - I didn't think of that at all. I had a samsung windows mobile phone and the battery was always low on it, and it weight about a ton.

I'm happy with my BB, and will definitely keep it, I was just wondering what the pros were about the BIS and why it's there. I wouldn't trade it for a larger battery, or a shortened battery life, but there are cons.

None that I can't live with though. I've been really happy with the battery life and the stability of the device.

Cheers,
    Nick

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Not a problem. There are pros and cons about every device out there. What matters is that the pros outweigh the cons for each individual user to make it worthwhile for them to use it. I switched from my Palm to my BB not because of anything I didn't like about my palm (in fact I still have it as my backup device) but because of the things I liked more about my BB.

Zo