Hi Gang I'm looking to get the BB 8830 WE, on Verizon. I'm in Chicago ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Social D 13 no está en línea Stack level 1

Webmail Question

Advertisement

Hi Gang
    I'm looking to get the BB 8830 WE, on Verizon.
    I'm in Chicago and here's my situation.
    My work has a BES Server and if we get the BB, we are asked to pay a $100 licensing fee per year.
    In addition, w/ Verizon, many of you know that standard Data service is about $30 Vs. $45 for Corp.
    When i am out in the field, i can access my corp emails through Webmail- webmail.XXX.org
    So here's my question- even though we have a BES server, can i bypass this, not take advantage of the BES features and simply use the BIS to access my webmail?
    I'd like to save about $15 a month, not pay the $100 fee per year. I'm not worried about accessing my files and such that the BES will allow- just want to stop carrying around my heavy lap top and check my work mail.
    I think webmail is OWE correct?

I tried using the BB Browser and it wasnt able to access it that way, but i was hoping to be able to set up my work email, like any other POP email that the BIS plan allows.

All the Verizon reps tell me that the only way to check my corp. email, even though i have webmail access is through having the BES server- doesnt sound right
    thanks gang!

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Webmail Question

It sounds like your office has OWA (Outlook Web Access), which will enable you to setup an account via your BIS service to pull email every 15 minutes. I have a personal BB and our office has both OWA and BES, but I choose to use OWA since I only want to get office email on my personal BB when I am away, so I add/delete the account via BIS at my leisure. It works fine for me and we are running Exchange 2003.

Just remember if your corporate network password changes, you will need to update BIS accordingly, as ours changes every 30 days.

thanks Data
    thats what i was hoping for.
    Not only do i want to save the money w/ the monthly data fee via Verizon, but i also didnt want to pay the extra $100 for the licensing fee for the BB.
    So i would just go ahead and set up my work OWA the same way i'd set up any other personal email accnt correct?

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

It is pretty much straightforward. You will need your username/password (the one you use to logon to OWA), you may need a "mailbox" name, which when I set it up, was my first name, underscore, last name. You may want to logon to OWA, and hover the mouse over a message in the Inbox, and look at the bottom of IE and see the link name, such as https://mail.company.com/Inbox/Joe_User or whatever. The name there should be the name you enter for mailbox name on BIS. If you enter a domain before your name when logging onto OWA, you may need to enter that as well in BIS such as domain\JoeUser. Hopefully your IT person can help if this doesn't get you where you need to be.

makedonce no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Webmail Question

Hi,
    Our company runs MS Exchance 2003. I read the post above, but i have a question reagarding OWA.
    The way we access our e-mail through the web is in the following format:

office.domainname/remote

From there, we can either access the calendar or the webmail. Is the above mentioned format also OWA or does it have to be

your post got cut off....

with me, when i log in to my
    webmail.XXXX.org accnt

my user name has some domain like
    domainname/myname.lastname

then i use my password