Hi Folks I'm suddenly getting a large amount of spam into my AOL acccount and ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

snowmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2

Ways to reduce spam on BB

Advertisement

Hi Folks

I'm suddenly getting a large amount of spam into my AOL acccount and onto my BB. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can increase my spam sensitivity or add 'key words' to a block list ?

I assume that if I go into my AOL portal and adjust it there, that won't make any difference to my BB settings as the mails are coming direct from the BB server.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

SM

andreybutov no está en línea Stack level 2
    Try the Antair BlackBerry Spam Filter, available from http://www.antair.com
    Antair BlackBerry Software
    A spam filter for a cleaner inbox, a call screener to block calls, and more great BlackBerry tools.
    www.antair.com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Or for a free option you can set up your firewall. Go to Options/Security/Firewall and you can choose to block messages by type and you can make exceptions like only allow emails from contacts on your address book, or only allow certain addresses.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

NAPPYDREADZ no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249F0C9E
    Thanks for the information, I would like to know if you had any or know of anyone who was receiving text messages with a sender address of just #'s for example
    the sender would be 1111470400 and the message would be something like wvc1 1.1234567 ? these messages come like every 30 sec to 1 minute at a time. Very nerve Racking have you ever experienced anything like it???

snowmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for the couple of helpful comments. That software looks potentially interesting (although not cheap at $50) but if it works then that's what I need.

I'd looked at the firewall option but it just doesn't have the sophistication - i.e. it only allows you to block ALL messages via your SMS/MMS/Broadband etc or only allow ones from your contacts. A bit sledgehammer to crack nut.

Will look into that software more - do you use it Andre ? I guess you're perhaps something to do with the company?

Do you know how they cope with updates and whether you have to pay more for those and new versions ?

TIA

SM

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    If you're on BIS then you can setup a filter for your mailaccount.

HTH
    Peter

~via smartphone~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    That's what I do, create filters in BIS and it works very well.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonkey View Post
    Hi Folks

I'm suddenly getting a large amount of spam into my AOL acccount and onto my BB. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can increase my spam sensitivity or add 'key words' to a block list ?

I assume that if I go into my AOL portal and adjust it there, that won't make any difference to my BB settings as the mails are coming direct from the BB server.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

SM
    Actually your statement is a little innaccurate. If you adjust the filters on your AOL email, they should affect the spam you are seeing on your BB. The BB servers pull the emails from your inbox (not before they arrive) so they get affected by any rules you have in place or filters prior to being sent to your BB.

My experience is with Gmail and Yahoo but has worked everytime I needed to decrease my spam. When I start receiving a large amount of spam, I start leaving it unopened and go into my yahoo or gmail and start tagging them as spam. Once it has been tagged, I never see an email from that sender again on my BB but they are still in my spam box like they should be. I also was able to route emails I never wanted to see on my BB but were not spam by setting a rule to move them to a different folder as soon as they hit my inbox. I still have those emails and can view them at my leisure but don't have to worry about them filling my phone up since they are low priority for me.

Zo