I am in the UK & have recently got a BB Pearl with T-Mobile; we ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

degmore no está en línea Stack level 1

Using my BB overseas, with an overseas SIM - what do I need?

Advertisement

I am in the UK & have recently got a BB Pearl with T-Mobile; we travel to Italy regularly and *had* been accessing email via a laptop + data card, with a Telecom Italia (TIM) sim with a data top up. This was great but a bit 'clunky'.

This time we travel, I plan to take my BB Pearl with to Italy & would like to use it to send & receive mails as I do in the UK......but I want to avoid any killer data charges from T-Mo UK.

I assume that as my phone is unlocked, I can continue to use my TIM SIM for voice, but I'm not so sure about data. My question is:
    • If I want to access my mails in Italy, do I just put in my data-enabled TIM SIM card? I guess, no and assume not and that I need to.....
    • Update the APN settings to Gateway IP: 213.26.205.1; Port: 9201; APN: wap.tim.it (as per -> blackberryforums.pinstack.com)
    • I guess I'll have to register it with a network via Host Routing Table too?
    .......is it as simple as that?!?!

Sorry if I've answered my own question, but I'm not 100% confident that I can access mails like this. I am sure that it will give me access to the web, but not sure that I'll get mail.

Can anyone help, please?

apmartin no está en línea Device Pro
    You did answer your own question degmore. When you insert the italian SIM into your device, all you need to do is modify the APN to that of the current service provider.

I have recently done this.

active_user no está en línea Stack level 2
    hmm...so how do we know the APN settings of the sim card from the country we wanna visit? cos in the next 4 days i'll be leaving in singapore, since im in indonesia, i dont wanna use my indonesian sim, i prefer to buy a spore sim, but how can i connect to my BIS? while im subscribing the BIS with the provider from jakarta, indonesia?

thanx

Can someone help me asnwering the steps of my question above, cos I really need to bring my BB to singapore tomorrow morning and I still don't know how...

Thx before

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I meant I'm willing to bring my unlocked BB to singapore, and I don't know what to do, can I just buy a temporary singapore sim card and able to receive mails, BB messenger,Viigo,etc ??

active user, thanks for the PM (I can't reply as I don't have enough posts!) but to find the correct APN, then just Google "APN [carrier name]" and you should find it.

I got it from Pinstack ......http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...php?t-360.html

Let me know whether your experient was successful.....I'll update the post with my experiences too.

I guess the important thing is to get a SIM with data provision.

Quote Originally Posted by apmartin View Post
    You did answer your own question degmore. When you insert the italian SIM into your device, all you need to do is modify the APN to that of the current service provider.

I have recently done this.
    Thanks for this; I was hoping it was this simple. I had tried it in the past but kept on getting bounced for some reason.....I *was* short of time, so may have screwed it. I will take more time this vacation & hopefully things will be as simple as you explain

Ok then I guess I'll try to look for singtel prepaid card to make it work! Will post about it later, thanx degmore

Btw what's it gotta do with the hosting route table ?

I don't know what it does, but I understand it registers the BB with a network.

Options -> Advance Options -> Host Routing Table -> Select any set of numbers and press the BB button to REGISTER NOW.

You should then get a mail stating that the BB is registered etc... It may happen automatically, but this will force a registration.

Okey then,conclusion:

1.Go overseas,lol
    2.Buy a sim card with a data plan or something(my case is buy a singtel)
    3.Modified the APN settings
    4.Register your BB with the host routing table settings (only if necessary)

Hopefully I'll get lucky tomorrow!

Tried to get my BB goin with changing the APN settings to the singtel while in singapore, but it didn't work, dunno whether I didn't get the right sim or what...but somehow I didn't get it going

Bummer! Will advise after my trip (tomorrow)