Hey Folks, I've been reading up on BB privacy lately and I was wondering if ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

nexstar3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Tracking BIS/POP3 pushed email

Advertisement

Hey Folks,

I've been reading up on BB privacy lately and I was wondering if anybody knew if BIS email and/or POP3 email associated with the BIS account can be logged by the BES server? My company does not currently prohibit BIS/POP3 email on our BES and I'm wondering if we can track it.

I know sms, pins, and phone logs are all traceable and have been reading up on the release of Gwava Retain to make this easier than ever from the BES admin side, but I’m still not sure about logging and/or tracing the BIS blackberry.net address or yahoo/gmail push services.

I found what appears to be a Gwava Retain FAQ [Google: mobilitypr Retain FAQ to read it - first link]

In it, it states on page 4:

Q: What kinds of information cannot be archived?
    Web-based instant messaging solutions such as AIM or Skype as well as web- based email surfing cannot be currently monitored.

I'm assuming "web- based email surfing" is referring to BIS/POP3 pushed mail. Is this correct? Does anybody know if these services are being logged on the BES?

Thanks!!

jar8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    My brother works for a "company" that is "controlled" by BES and he was told when handed his BB NOT to put any personal email accounts on it as they would be copied and archived on the "company" server (he is able to have them go to his BB but he doesn't like the thought of his personal stuff being monitored by the "company". He also has no BBM as the "company" said it is impossible to "record" conversations

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The rule to follow for any Blackberry tied to a BES : If it can be put on / downloaded to / sent from / seen by the blackberry then it can be saved on the BES. The only security on a BES is for the company and not the employee.

Zo

I found a post by Hayden that reads:
    =============================
    Most IM traffic goes through BES, unless you can download the WAP version and configure it to use your Carrier's APN for WAP access (haven’t tested that). If you would like to attempt be sure to go to Next go to ‘Options’ / ‘Browser Push’ / scroll to the very bottom and make sure ‘Allow WAP Push Applications’ is checked.

The BIS/BWC ( yourname@carriername.blackberry.net ) email account email accounts enable through that service cannot be logged on BES. However access can be restricted via the IT Policy. You can go to ‘Options’ / ‘Service Book’ and at the very bottom you will see ‘Web Client’ with a check next to it which confirms you have assess to sending and receiving private and personal email via your Mobile carrier’s Web Client (BIS).
    =====================================

By the sounds of this post is seems that the blackberry.net addresses and any pop3 address (yahoo/gmail/etc..) that's forwarded to the handheld via the WAP browser is not traceable by the BES, nor by Gwava according to the Gwava FAQ.

Is this correct? The only option for as tracking BIS/POP3 mail pushed via the WAP browser is to disable these services?

Note: Hayden's article can be found by searching for:
    "Configuring Blackberry on BES for Privacy"
    The article is dated 12-09-2005, so I'm wondering if this info is now outdated?

Can any BES admins confirm?