solution found! Check post #8 Hi guys, I just purchased a blackberry pearl and am ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

joejoe3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Cannot sync to work IMAP server unless access within work network

Advertisement

solution found! Check post #8

Hi guys,

I just purchased a blackberry pearl and am trying to sync my work email to my phone.
    I spoke with my IT guys and unfortunately, the IMAP server can only be access within the work network, and will not work if being access from the outside.

We use just the simple Outlook Express 6, and I was trying to find a few things here and there and try to make it work.

Is there anyway I can get into the IMAP server from the outside? If so, How!?

Last resort: Is there any kind of program, add-on or script to forward my mail from the IMAP server at work automatically to another email address? I can't seem to find one
    Last edited by joejoe3; 02-14-2008 at 04:22 AM.

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Cannot sync to work IMAP server unless access within work network

If your IMAP server is internally addressed, then it cannot be accessed from the outside. Period. You may be able to use the blackberry redirector to forward emails to your BB, or setup a rule within Outlook to forward emails to a personal address. You should probably ask your IT guys if this is OK before doing either. Both of these options require your work desktop PC to remain on all the time.

^I can leave my PC on all time, that's no problem.

Will the redirector work with IMAP? Also, does it sync (*Eg, if i add or delete, will it follow on my PC)?

I tried the rule... but the outlook express cannot forward emails out if it's from a HTTP or IMAP server... that's the pain, and that's why i was wondering if there's any plugins or programs out there for me to do so.

JoeJoe,

I have seen conflicting reports about IMAP + redirector. Blackberry says its not a "supported configuration" but I have heard from some that it works. Why not try it and see if it will work with your environment?

Is your office using Exchange? Do they allow web access to email from the outside?

Well they are planning to upgrade it with to the exchange, however still no web access after that as well.

I have VPN access from home to link into the system, but Email settings icon in Blackberry Destop manager is not clickable... when clicked it pops this up
    "Email settings not available without an online connection to your message system"

and when everytime i launch the redirector it pops this up
    "Could not start the Redirector: the connection to your messaging system could not be initalized"

can i sync to my work's internal IMAP after the VPN connection? if so, how?

I think I got lost somewhere... are you not using exchange now? If not, what mail system are you using?

My work email server is not exchange, they are planning to upgrade to that later on I believe.

Anyway, I found a solution to this, and it's working for me now.
    In order to access an internal imap server from the outside, you need VPN, which was something I was provided by the company to check mail form home. Anyway, this is what i did.

1) Connect to VPN, and now you have connection to the company's internal imap server
    2) Download a freeware call PopMonger from Mach5, it's a freeware that organizes inbound mail, IMAP server compatible
    3) Fill in the inbound and outbound server info to the popmonger, and set a rule to forward mail to your blackberry email address, and have the popmonger check your mail every minute. This is the closest thing to push email access... a max delay would be ~1 minute due to the program's timer, and also time to forward the mail out.
    4) Since the VPN takes over your system, you'll need to leave the VPN connection on 24/7 along with the computer, and run popmonger in the background. As long as it stays on you will get your email.

I tired it and it works for me, crappy thing is i need to find a cheap computer to act as a server haha

Hope this helps anyone that's having the same problem i do.