I've got a bunch of experience with a BES-connected BB, but relatively little for BIS, ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Question Sync question for BIS

Advertisement

I've got a bunch of experience with a BES-connected BB, but relatively little for BIS, so hopefully this isn't too silly of a question:

I just set up my personal email to sync up via BIS (using an 8800 on AT&T) in addition to my corporate BES stuff. (My personal email is hosted for my personal domain on a server with direct Internet connectivity, it's accessible via POP and IMAP.) With the BES stuff, anything that I delete on the handheld will delete from the desktop (assuming I tell it to) and vice-versa.

What seems to be happening with BIS is that if I delete something off the handheld (and tell it to delete from handheld & server) it does indeed delete it from the server. (Which also means that if I access my personal email via IMAP it goes away as it should; access via POP shows that it's gone from the server).

However, if I delete something from the server, it doesn't seem to get deleted from the BB. I have the setting on BIS set to sync deletion, wireless reconciliation is turned on, and I have "mailbox wins" for conflicts.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how it works with BIS?

Thanks.
    David

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Sync question for BIS

No, it does not sound like you are doing anything wrong. BIS is basically a POP operation. The problem with BIS is that the BB cannot be accessed by the server to tell it to delete the message. That is what BES does. BIS simply POP's your mail server, gets the messages that are there and pushes them to your BB. Your BB in turn tells the server to delete the message. There is no "true" reconciliation with BIS.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Hi Doughdaddy,
    My initial thought was that sync wasn't possible because it was using POP, except that after a little digging, I found that it's actually using IMAP to get to my inbox. You can see it on the Advanced tab in the BIS:

At least in theory, it should be possible to sync, but perhaps there's no way to communicate back to the BB that a message has been deleted? (Well, I know that works for BES; maybe not for BIS?)

Thanks.
    David

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Several people have reported the same about using Gmail with IMAP but not having true IMAP usage. I don't think it is possible at this time.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

If your mail server is doing IMAP, you can have sent/deleted messages on your BB kept on the IMAP server account. Create "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" on the IMAP server for your email account. Then messages sent from the BB will be copied to the Sent Items file and deleted items on the BB will be copied to the Deleted Items file.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    If your mail server is doing IMAP, you can have sent/deleted messages on your BB kept on the IMAP server account. Create "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" on the IMAP server for your email account. Then messages sent from the BB will be copied to the Sent Items file and deleted items on the BB will be copied to the Deleted Items file.
    The issue is pretty much in the other direction: stuff that I delete from the server by using the Blackberry does indeed get removed from the server. The problem is that when I remove stuff from the server (from my desktop or even directly from the server itself), it doesn't get removed from the Blackberry.

I'm starting to get the idea that I may just be out of luck.
    David

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn View Post
    The issue is pretty much in the other direction: stuff that I delete from the server by using the Blackberry does indeed get removed from the server. The problem is that when I remove stuff from the server (from my desktop or even directly from the server itself), it doesn't get removed from the Blackberry.

I'm starting to get the idea that I may just be out of luck.
    How long have you waited?
    It sometimes can take up to 6-hours to sync in that direction...

btw - I use goDaddy, not gMail, but I have seen it take a long time going that way.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by o1sowise View Post
    How long have you waited?
    It sometimes can take up to 6-hours to sync in that direction...

btw - I use goDaddy, not gMail, but I have seen it take a long time going that way.
    Well, I certainly haven't waiting 6 hours, I didn't think it would have taken that long. I'm thinking that maybe I waited maybe 30-60 minutes. I'll give it another shot today and specifically let an email sit overnight and see what happened. Thanks for the tip.

I guess if it does take that long, it's better than nothing, but becomes less useful, since I'm mostly able to check email from my desktop at least once a day.
    David

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn View Post
    Well, I certainly haven't waiting 6 hours, I didn't think it would have taken that long. I'm thinking that maybe I waited maybe 30-60 minutes. I'll give it another shot today and specifically let an email sit overnight and see what happened. Thanks for the tip.

I guess if it does take that long, it's better than nothing, but becomes less useful, since I'm mostly able to check email from my desktop at least once a day.
    True, but I believe it depends on many factors.
    I've seen it go in minutes, and I've seen it take hours...

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by o1sowise View Post
    True, but I believe it depends on many factors.
    I've seen it go in minutes, and I've seen it take hours...
    Well, it does look like you were right (and it certainly wasn't overnight). Looks like it may have taken an hour or more (it vanished at some point since your last message), but it did indeed get removed from my BB.

Thanks for the advice to be patient!
    David

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3

Since around noon today Gmail is being delayed on push email and syncs. Had one email delayed up to 4 hours. Gotta be some issues with RIM's BIS.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
    Since around noon today Gmail is being delayed on push email and syncs. Had one email delayed up to 4 hours. Gotta be some issues with RIM's BIS.
    That may be, but as I've mentioned, I'm not using Gmail, I have my own server that can serve either with IMAP or POP. While it's possible that there are BIS issues (as I mentioned up a post or two, the emails did eventually delete off my Blackberry), I'm pretty confident that Gmail has nothing to do with the issue that I saw.
    David

joeya7 no está en línea Stack level 2

BIS is having delay's today.I have a question for gmail and IMAP.I have my gmail set to pop now.I tried it as IMAP but it doesn't put ur sent mail from the BB in the sent folder on gmail.com. What where you guys saying about setting up rules for sent and deleted mail??