Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone seeing a drastic increase in spam to their BIS account? My tmo.blackberry.net addy is ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Spam to BIS account (tmo.blackberry.net)

Advertisement

Anyone seeing a drastic increase in spam to their BIS account? My tmo.blackberry.net addy is all of a sudden receiving spam and it didn't previously. Anyone else notice this?
    Nikki
    iPhone 4S - work
    Samsung Galaxy SII - personal
    Supporting BB, android and iOs devices at work.

siliconvalley785 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2260D5E4
    Nope, haven't had an issue with spam. But then again, I don't give out my Bb address to anyone either.

Pritesh

lee_3d no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24FF3AD7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~check the filters on year account. Might have to tweak them up a notch

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Paintchips also had a sudden spurge of spam. I haven't on my bis email, but on my yahoo email I have over 2,000 spam messages, and that's from this month already! It happened like 2 months ago, and won't stop.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    I just got a spam mail on my tmo.blackberry.net account. I don't know that I have ever given it out as it is so confusing after the @ I can't remember it. I think someone or company realized the part after the @ and is taking guesses at the part before... maybe...
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

jonnyedge no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204dc23d
    What you want to do is go to your options then advanced options and then to cell broadcast. Make sure its set for off. That blocks spam. If that's set that way then u might have given ur address out to a company who sold it to others~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tippndown no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3012D2AF
    i got a few weird messages this morning that looked like spam on my tmo.blackberry emails too

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    jonnyedge, Welcome to PinStack.

Good thought, but Cell Broadcast has nothing to do with the BlackBerry Email Accounts. Cell Broadcast is an SMS based service. I don't know all the details about how you set up receiving Cell Broadcasts but they are based on specific channels and you have to have the Cell Id to input before you will have access to one.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb
    I got a bunch of spam over the weekend, and don't recall ever getting ANY before. As someone else has mentioned, I don't recall ever giving that address out to anyone. The only place it exists is in a couple of place where certain mail is forwarded to that address, and I'm reasonably sure that neither of those sites were compromised.

What may have happened (just a guess) is that I do have email accounts with the same username elsewhere; perhaps the spammers are "building" email addresses by taking the "in front of the @" piece from other lists and adding on new domain names (in this case, the BIS account). Sure, it won't work for a lot of IDs, but I doubt they care very much about bouncing email.

It sure is annoying.

Dave_MSP no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn
    I got a bunch of spam over the weekend, and don't recall ever getting ANY before.
    I don't have a blackberry...but I have to administer 12 of them and a BES.

My users complained of receiving spam this weekend and they've never done so before. I saw one of the devices and the spams were sent directly to their blackberry.net addresses - NOT through our Exchange Server --> BES.

In fact, the "To" field wasn't even the user's account - just close.

I'm guessing that someone found a backdoor into blackberry.net's servers. One that I hope is closed very soon!

Dave

P.S. Ours are on Nextel, so this isn't limited to Tmobile customers
    Last edited by Dave_MSP; 11-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4
    This is my theory: someone sends you an email to your 'normal' email address. It's larger than say, 6mb (or whatever max size your BIS will allow).

It gets rejected by your BIS account, and thus that email address, that you NEVER give out, gets 'out there', and thus spam starts to come in...

Dave_MSP no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    It gets rejected by your BIS account, and thus that email address, that you NEVER give out, gets 'out there', and thus spam starts to come in...
    I really don't think this is a case of users not keeping email addresses private. These are the randomly generated spams - for prescription drugs and the like - with their message bundled inside a gif. I think this is more of a security breach than "unsafe mailing" practices.

Dave

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4
    Good point, you're probably right. I was really generalizing, than being specific to 'your' company...

ps: I've received a few spam myself, and I've never given out my T-Mobile bis email address...

deezndc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3034d119
    I'm also receiving some prescription drug spam on my Nextel BIS account. Its kinda hard to filter these because they come different email addresses but follow the same format. Anybody got any ideas on how to setup a filter for these?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I just started getting spam this week on cingular and I don't recall giveing my address out.they have been about investing.this really tics me off when the red light flashes and I think its a important message.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast