Hello, I am trying to set up my Army AKO e-mail, but I don't know ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Josh_H no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Setting up Army AKO e-mail with BB8310

Advertisement

Hello,
    I am trying to set up my Army AKO e-mail, but I don't know how to change the settings to work with the AKO server.
    this is what the AKO website says about it:

Handheld devices may be used with the AKO/DKO e-mail service. To configure your handheld device, please refer
    to the device vendor's instructions. For your convenience, the following describes pertinent AKO/DKO e-mail server information:

For IMAP Enabled devices:
    Incoming mail server: imap.us.army.mil

port: 993 This server requires the client to connect via SSL.
    Outgoing mail server: mailrouter.us.army.mil
    port: 465 This server requires the client to connect via SSL with authentication using your AKO
    username/password.

If anyone could provide any information on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Josh H.

Awatson no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Setting up Army AKO e-mail with BB8310

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_H View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to set up my Army AKO e-mail, but I don't know how to change the settings to work with the AKO server.
    this is what the AKO website says about it:

Handheld devices may be used with the AKO/DKO e-mail service. To configure your handheld device, please refer
    to the device vendor's instructions. For your convenience, the following describes pertinent AKO/DKO e-mail server information:

For IMAP Enabled devices:
    Incoming mail server: imap.us.army.mil

port: 993 This server requires the client to connect via SSL.
    Outgoing mail server: mailrouter.us.army.mil
    port: 465 This server requires the client to connect via SSL with authentication using your AKO
    username/password.

If anyone could provide any information on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Josh H.
    Starting on 1 february AKO blocks POP and IMAP access to email aggregator sites like BB and Google. The February AKO newsletter has more information but here is an excerpt from it with the critical information.

Extracted from the February 2008 AKO newsletter #26
    [FONT=Verdana,Verdana]
    "Are you currently using POP to receive your AKO e-mail through other ISP mail systems such as GMail, Earthlink, or Yahoo? If so, then you are creating a security risk and setting up conditions for a possible compromise of your AKO/DKO username and password credentials.
    A mail aggregator service typically requires the user to enter in their AKO/DKO credentials and accesses their AKO/DKO mailbox on behalf of the user. This not only creates the potential for a compromise of the user’s AKO/DKO user account and all the data a user has access to, but it also routes official mail to non-official accounts. The auto-forwarding of official mail to non-official accounts or devices is prohibited IAW AR 25-2 para 4-20f(6) and may be punished as a violation as noted in AR 25-2 para 1-5k. Example: forwarding your .mil e-mail to a .com e-mail account To prevent this risk, beginning 1 February, AKO/DKO will begin blocking POP and IMAP access to common email aggregator services such as Google, Blackberry, and others. This will be implemented not only to increase the security posture of AKO/DKO webmail but also to mitigate the potential for possible compromise of AKO/DKO user credentials. "
    [/FONT]

weav01 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Setting up Army AKO e-mail with BB8310

So, I assume that means you cannot set up your personal BB to access AKO?

Awatson no está en línea Stack level 1
    Correct. Prior to 1 Feb my Curve received all of my AKO messages. Between the 1st and the 10th AKO blocked the access.

weav01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Then how are the staff personnel getting their AKO emails on their Government blackberries?

derekleeds no está en línea Stack level 1

Solution to AKO

Instead of using AKO, try using https://mail.beta.army.mil/ . It is much better than the old AKO. I have been able to get my BB 8120 to send/receive/sync mail with it. I am using T-Mobile so that might be the big difference here. Through their website you can set it up using SSL and the mail.beta.army.mil as the router.

PittsDriver no está en línea Stack level 3
    I dont know how secure your army email is but I wasnt able to sync my navy email to my blackberry due to security.

dpetherton no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have you tried loading Logicmail? It requires a few extra steps to retrieve your AKO email, biut it works well on my Blackberry Curve (AT&T). You can send, receive, and reply. The account is set up as an IMAP.

ckyft no está en línea Stack level 1
    You can download the blackberry unite software, and load it on a PC at home. It is a cut down (5 users only) version of Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) for home use. Then you can configure it to download your AKO email without any issues. I have my AT&T curve downloading my AKO account email via POP with this software without any problems.

tiggit no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up tiggit works with AKO

You can use tiggit mail to connect to the AKO service. It even has a wizard to help you set up connection to AKO.

You can find more details on how to do this here http://tiggit.wordpress.com/2009/07/...h-us-army-mil/

wadetate no está en línea Stack level 1

AKO Access

You can still access AKO via your Blackberry. Go to http://logicmail.org/ota and load the app. Then configure it with the settings you listed in your thread. Cheers!