I am not on my company's BES so recently I added my corporate email account ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

biker19 no está en línea Stack level 1

Security of Blackberry Internet Email?

Advertisement

I am not on my company's BES so recently I added my corporate email account as one of my 10 supported email accounts on my blackberry. Now my company email gets pushed to my Blackberry which is great. However I was wondering about the related security considerations, since I effectively entered my corporate enterprise credentials into another system (Blackberry internet email) to enable this to work. Generally I wouldnt think this to be a good idea in case someone was able to "see" my company email address and password. Thoughts?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: Security of Blackberry Internet Email?

being on a Blackberry I would feel safer, than if you used some other phone and it's built in POP email service/feature.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

kwyjibo no está en línea Stack level 2

I would probably only be concerned if you didn't get permission from your IT administrator first. Though I feel very secure about my other email accounts I use on bis, (my corp email goes through our bes) I wouldn't want to be the one found outside of the security loop.....

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by biker19
    I am not on my company's BES so recently I added my corporate email account as one of my 10 supported email accounts on my blackberry. Now my company email gets pushed to my Blackberry which is great. However I was wondering about the related security considerations, since I effectively entered my corporate enterprise credentials into another system (Blackberry internet email) to enable this to work. Generally I wouldnt think this to be a good idea in case someone was able to "see" my company email address and password. Thoughts?
    It doesn't matter what anyone here says or thinks. What matters is what your company's IT Security department thinks, and what your company's IT Policy is.

In my company you can be fired for doing this! You should check with them.
    JerryD

biker19 no está en línea Stack level 1

Yes thanks for the feedback. I just hunted through company documents and found that this setup is indeed a violation and quickly deleted the email account.

jmorris no está en línea Stack level 1

Any insight on how tight this security may be?
    We just had one employee switch to a blackberry instead of a windows mobile pda and I have him set up through BIS to receive corporate email from our exchange server. I did not think it necessary to purchase BLackberry Enterprise Server yet since all of our other users use windows activsync.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Jmorris, You might want to check but every blackberry has the capability of using the free BES Express version. Not sure if it would be compatible with your network but if it is, it will provide more security than BIS.

Zo.