Hi all. I have a trip to Canada coming up and was wondering about the ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

How to save bandwidth but not making my BB nearly useless outside the US?

Advertisement

Hi all. I have a trip to Canada coming up and was wondering about the steps I need to take to avoid getting too high of data useage whilst there.

Does anyone here know of a good data transfer tracking application that I can use to see how much data I have used and can perhaps break it down by date? Would such a program be transparent and need not be manually started even between reboots? Perhaps it can warn me every megabyte or so letting me know I have used another meg?

I do not use the traditional e-mail client featured on my BB and just check it on Gmail and Yahoo Mobile. (I don't like getting dozens of e-mails pushed to my phone daily.)

Also, I have Opera Mini and the standard BlackBerry browser. Which one saves more data when compared side-by-side? What settings should I be using to keep the data transfer at a minimum? Is there a way to allow only mobile/WAP sites only or at least disable HTML browsing unless I allow it manually?

About how much bandwidth does JiveTalk typically use per day if left on and I IM with it perhaps 1 to 2 hours a day?

Thanks very much for whatever help you can give me on keeping data transfer down whilst in Canada.

PS: I use an 8320 w/ OS 4.5.0.44 and am on T-Mobile USA, which typically charges 0.01 USD/KB in Canada and 0.015 USD/KB everywhere else outside USA.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    Did you know you could just turn off mobile data and use wifi instead?
    I mean, if you are going to be at someone's home and they have a local wifi lan, just ask them for their pw and start using wifi, I did so while in mexico city when I still had my 8820 and it worked like a charm.
    I can't remember if jivetalk worked while on wifi but I am sure as hell all my emails would arrive flawlessly and I could browse the net and everything, that's because it automatically auths to bis while on wifi.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    By the way, on my 8820 I had a wap browser.
    You should have one on your 8320, I believe all you have to do is go to options and select wap as default.
    That should help with the kb use.

Question

I knew about Wi-Fi of course, but when it is not available & I need data, is there any way for me to track usage?

I'm guessing no such program that tells you how much bandwidth you used exists?

jaydot03 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Not sure you must check with another person