I finally unlocked my Blackberry 8120 so I can use my AT&T voice service on ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Question Questions for the experts

Advertisement

I finally unlocked my Blackberry 8120 so I can use my AT&T voice service on it and make my blackberry a phone again. But here's the thing, I'm running Media Net on my AT&T line which works fine on all my AT&T phones, Blackjack included... but I can't get EDGE, it stays at edge. I can hop on my web browser and navigate fine which is weird, b/c I couldn't do that on edge with TMobile. I understand I need EDGE to run my apps and what not, but I thought any kind of Data package will give me my EDGE, but Media Net seems to block it out. I had people tell me they pay 5.99 for TZones and their data and emails and junk and stuff.

So what wrong with my data package? Do I need to get BIS Personal just to get an EDGE signal?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Cause ATT does not allow you to go on EDGE when on Media Net.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Booo!

I was on EDGE for the Blackjack, what's the diff?

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Blackjacks run on EDGE where Blackberrys on the ATT Network run off of the Blackberry Server.

You can still browse via the wap browser, but you won't get EDGE

PIN/ID
    n/a
    That explains why I can still access some sites. AT&T's smart... explains why I can't access email setup.

Looks like I need a BIS plan!

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    So what wrong with my data package? Do I need to get BIS Personal just to get an EDGE signal?
    Yes, that is correct.

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    BB plans are $10 more for the same thing on ATT vs TMo, one of the reasons I'll be switching soon...

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    BB plans are $10 more for the same thing on ATT vs TMo, one of the reasons I'll be switching soon...
    I don't mind paying extra, AT&T has better service and coverage. I'd much rather pay a little extra for a more reliable network than save money on a network that has shady coverage.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
    Also, it's not the same thing. You get more features with AT&T

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    In my area the coverage is the same right now, a few years ago ATT was head and shoulders above the rest. I also have a work provided 8830 from VZW and it has poor coverage compared to my K1 on ATT. Metro areas get attention, as the 3G rollout has mose recently shown.
    What does ATT BIS have that TMo BIS doesn't? Just wondering since when I compared them it seemed it was the same on both, though I didn't get detailed enough; I was just interested in the unlimited data really, all else is bonus to me and on that TMo is $10 less every month. Also, TMo unlimited messaging for families is also $10 less a month.
    What features does ATT have that TMo doesn't?

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Before I run off to compare the two again in more detail this time (lol) I will say off the top of my head TMo lets you use the BB as a tethered modem whereas this is extra on ATT and VZW.

PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Did you find anything? I couldn't, except that TMo BIS is $20 a month with tethering included, ATT BIS with tethering is $60 a month.