Hello, I've been having problems getting BIS filters to work correctly for some time. I've ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

rockinsage no está en línea Stack level 1

Question problems with BIS email filters

Advertisement

Hello, I've been having problems getting BIS filters to work correctly for some time. I've searched the forums and RIM's knowledge base but haven't found the answer thus far.

I'm on BIS, not BES, and I have my work email account set up in BIS. I receive all work email fine, no problems. However, I don't want to receive all work email on my BB, just emails that fit certain criteria (mainly auto-generated emails when there's a systems failure or other production problem).

To do this right, I can't use just one filter, because I have to use at least two criteria to filter out the emails I don't want, and to receive the ones I do want. I think this would be easier if BIS allowed you to use multiple criteria within one filter, but instead you must create multiple filters and it's not clear how multiple filters interact with each other (for example, are multiple filters OR'd or AND'd?). There was also something on RIM's site that implied filters are applied in a certain order, a "filter queue", but I see no way to set or change the order of the filters.

First, I have the default "When no filters apply" action set to "Do not forward messages to device." There are two email addresses that I want to receive emails from, so I set up one filter with "Apply filter when: FROM field" and have "Contains" set to the two email addresses separated by a semi-colon. I then select "Forward messages to device". If I stop here, everything works great and I only receive emails from those two email addresses.

Unfortunately I also need to filter on email subject -- there are three possible email subject lines that I need to use as criteria (from the two above email addresses). If the first two subject lines comes through from the above addresses, I want the emails, if the third subject line comes through, I don't want the emails. And if any of those subject lines come from any other email address, I don't want the emails, hence the reason I created the first filter in the first place.

I tried this two ways. With my first "From" filter already in place, I created two new filters on "Apply filter when SUBJECT line" and set the subject line to the first subject line I want to receive, and the second filter to the second subject line I want to receive. I then set these filters to "Forward messages to device". As soon as I do this, I stop receiving all email, including email from my senders that fit either subject line criteria.

The second method I tried was, with my first "From" filter already in place, I created one new filter on "Apply filter when SUBJECT line" and set the subject line to the subject line I DON'T want to receive, then I set this filter to "Do not forward messages to device". As soon as I do this, I start receiving ALL emails from my senders, even the emails that include the subject line I DON'T want to receive.

I'm obviously not using the filters correctly, can anyone offer any advice?

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: problems with BIS email filters

My first question would be this, you have your work email being pulled by BIS and sent to the BB, what email client is your company using? If they are using something that will allow you to set forwarding (mail) rules you can set a forwarding rule for each of the criteria that you want and forward it to your BIS email account. That way you can use the more robust filtering allowed by the client and apply rules individual of each other for each filter you want.

rockinsage no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: problems with BIS email filters

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    If they are using something that will allow you to set forwarding (mail) rules you can set a forwarding rule for each of the criteria that you want and forward it to your BIS email account.
    doughdaddy:

That's a good idea, I will do that if I can't figure out the BIS filters. I'd prefer to have everything set up on the BIS site (I have other email accounts configured there as well), but at this point I just need it to work and will pursue your solution. Thanks for the feedback.