I am new to BB and just migrated from a Palm Treo 650 to a ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

chookagian no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Question Palm Treo 650 to a Verizon 7130e.

Advertisement

I am new to BB and just migrated from a Palm Treo 650 to a Verizon 7130e. I am currently the only one in my company to have a BB device, but that may soon change as others are drooling over my new phone!!

Our server currently running Microsoft Exchange server 2003 and I was able to get all my Outlook functionality ie: calendar, tasks, notes, etc... on my old Palm Treo 650. While I have easily setup my 3 POP email accounts without a problem, I can't seem to figure out how to get that same outlook functionality on my BB phone without going to the expense of purchasing BES.

I have tried the desktop software and it does sync, but I was kinda hoping for a "wireless" solution like BES, but I haven't been able to find anything by reading things online.

Does anyone know of any "work arounds" that would allow this Outlook functionality outside the scope of the manual sync? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Re: Palm Treo 650 to a Verizon 7130e.

Theres no workaround to BES. You have 4 options. Either purchase a BES, with the ability to run more then one BB by buying more licenses. 2, setup using the redirector (not recommended, as it is not great). 3, you can setup your account using POP3. Or 4, order the free BES express, which comes with 1 license. You need to buy additional licenses for more units, but I believe the express version only allows up to a small amount of units.

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSE79
    order the free BES express, which comes with 1 license.
    WHERE can I get the FREE Version of BES Express???

(and thanks for the prompt reply..... this place is crackberry heaven)

UPDATE: I did a google search on BES Express and it took me to the Blackberry website. I filled out the form and submitted it. Do they mail it to you via snail mail or can it be downloaded electronically? Has anyone tried this before?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

It allows up to a total of 15 CAL's (client access licenses; 1 included free), the option to upgrade to a full BES and get 5 additional licenses and 2 months of tech support. Here's the link http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...Server+Express

I'd get this but I don't have access to Outlook.

Update: You can now get up to 20 CAL's here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=2485
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-23-2006 at 05:57 PM.

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Here is the link I found.....

https://www.blackberry.com/express/?cp=ILC-BB1

It explains everything about the freebie, upgrades, FREE tech support, etc....

Also, after you fill out the registration form, they email you the link and activation codes. BEWARE of the size 453 Megs

I'll post some feedback once I have it up and running just in case anyone else is interested.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by chookagian
    Here is the link I found.....

https://www.blackberry.com/express/?cp=ILC-BB1

It explains everything about the freebie, upgrades, FREE tech support, etc....

Also, after you fill out the registration form, they email you the link and activation codes. BEWARE of the size 453 Megs

I'll post some feedback once I have it up and running just in case anyone else is interested.
    That's a large file! Thanks for the information, I'm considering BES Express myself!

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Just remember to run BES express you need to have exchange server (if using MS exchange) as a frontend server, and BES as the backend. From what I understand, BES express cannot run on the same machine as Exchange.

Sp@d3r no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    251ACEE8

You can run BES express on the same machine as the Exchange. I have applications installed on the same server, and they are both working perfectly.

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    I have a question... Does windows 2003 sever edition come with a copy of microsoft Exchange server 2003?
    My friend gave me a copy of the software, but I haven't been able to test it out myself.

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Thumbs up Re: Palm Treo 650 to a Verizon 7130e.

We are currently running a Server that is configured with Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 which does come with Microsoft Exchange Server along with the client application Outlook 2003.

I have printed the 34 page documentation that comes with the BES Express software, and it lists MS Small Business Server 2003 as a valid OS that it will operate on. Since the OS comes with MS Exchange, I have to think that it would be ok to install it on the same server as Exchange.

As I read through the documentation, there seems to be many pre-deployment considerations. For example, if you have a firewall router, there are certain ports that need to be configured to allow BES Express traffic in and out.

I did my usual daily backup to my tape drive last night, and I am currently doing a full system backup to a 200 gig USB drive we just purchased prior to installing BES Express. Just in case!!

My hope is to gain wireless access to my Outlook Calendar, Tasks, Notes, etc......

I will keep everyone posted on my hopefully success or doomed failure.

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Post Re: Palm Treo 650 to a Verizon 7130e.

FINAL UPDATE:

Just got off the telephone with BES support and here is a short recap for anyone who is thinking about BES Express.

1. Blackberry support STRONGLY suggests that BES Express NOT be installed on the same server as MS Exchange. In fact, they won't even support that configuration at all. They say it "may" work, but your on your own. So unless you have TWO Servers and Two MS Server 2000 or 2003 Operating Systems, you are out of luck.

2. There is also an SQL database issue. My server is running MS SQL Server 2005 and that wouldn't be a problem. But if you are running SQL Express, which is FREE from Microsoft (for a limited time), then it won't work at all. You wouldn't even be able to get the BES software fully installed.

3. The BES software is really complex and has mega features. If you are just trying to install it for one user, the amount of time and effort to install and support it may not work for everyone, especially if you are a novice. They do offer 60 Days of free technical support to help you get up and running, but trying to find the telephone number on their website is impossible.

Conclusion: If you really need Outlook integration desperately, and you have an extra dedicated server with server software (and the appropriate amount of available user licenses), and you have tons of technical knowledge, along with the latest patches to the OS, Java, SQL, etc..... AND you are willing to invest about 40 to 80 hours to deal with all the things that will pop up and rear it's ugly head, then go for it.

As much as I wanted it, a FREE copy of BES Express would cost me about $3000.00 after all was said and done. And that is a little more that the FREE I wanted to spend. Since my company won't buy a second server and OS and SQL Server to support just one Blackberry user (me) I am stuck doing the manual sync via the USB cable. Go figure??

I guess the old saying about something for nothing is quite true!!

Thanks once again to everyone who chimed in on this request.

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Thank you for the extensive report!

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Thank you very much, informative!

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

A quick update since I last posted........

I found a Pentium 4 computer with 1 gig of RAM that wasn't being used, so I downloaded a SIX MONTH FREE trial of Windows Server from Microsoft.

After a successful installation of the Server Software, I installed BES Express (also FREE) and configured it as a one user account.

I am now up and running with BES Express and it works like a charm. After the six month trial for the server software is over, I probably will try to purchase an older version of the server operating system on Ebay. If I'm lucky, I may be able to get something for under $100.00 or so.