Hello I'm new here, I have a question about opening .doc, .xls and .pdf in ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

MF
    MF no está en línea Stack level 1

open .pdf, .xls and .doc in browser?

Advertisement

Hello I'm new here,

I have a question about opening .doc, .xls and .pdf in the browser. I know it is possible to open these extensions in the web client but I want to use OWA through the browser.

I have read in the manual for the 8707v the following in chapter 12 about the browser:

View Files
    If your blackberry device is intergrated with an account that uses Blackberry Enterprise server version 4.1 or later, you can view .doc, .pdf, .ppt, .txt, .wpd and .xls file types in the browser. On a web page click the file link. Click get link.

I've called my provider (vodafone) and asked if there is a way to view these extensions while I have have BIS instead of BES.

The the helpdesk tells me its not possible to view these extensions through the browser because of the complexity of word and excel (huh? and I mentioned what the manual said but he says something different), its too complex for the blackberry so its only possible to open them through the blackberry webclient because the provider will filter and skim them to lower complexity the blackberry can handle.

My questions are, who's right? and is there a way for me to open these extension through the browser? I have a demo of eOffice installed (works 7 days) but seems it cannot open the files directly from the hyperlinks because I get the error that for example msword is missing when I try to open a .doc

any ideas? thanks

tai
    tai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304E2757

Re: open .pdf, .xls and .doc in browser?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im not too sure because I view just about everything, including my work email via OWA when I'm not having it pushed.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

MF, Welcome to PinStack.

With the latest version of the RIM BIS background processing, I have been able to open some PDF, Doc and PPT files using my Internet Browser on the Cingular Network. This was supposed to be one of the Advantages of the BIS 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade, but I found it also affected users of BIS 1.8. It is not 100% but I haven't had too many attempts fail. There is a lot of loss of formating though, but everything is readable.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What you read is likely referring to BES users where the MDS browser is being used to view internal corporate files.

Unfortunately, BIS cannot do this.

There is a 'limited' attachment viewer built in to the Message app, but I rarely use it for anything aside from .doc memos that come from co-workers; I just wait until I'm at my desk so I can view it properly, or at least how it was intended to be viewed.

wildeagle no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205AA9A9

Most of the time I will not open attachments on my BB, however you can buy "office" for you BB and that would allow you to open .doc, .xls, and .ppt files, I tried the demo and worked well but for the amount I would use it I did not want to spend the money.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi mf, welcome to pinstack. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

MF

Thanks for the welcomes

Quote Originally Posted by wildeagle
    you can buy "office" for you BB and that would allow you to open .doc, .xls, and .ppt files, I tried the demo and worked well but for the amount I would use it I did not want to spend the money.
    is it called eoffice? because I tried that and it works but not when you want to open the hyperlink to an attachement in OWA mail (in the browser)

When I try to open for example a pdf that is an attachement in an email (using OWA in the browser):

"not supported media type: application/pdf"

I think nothing can be done to solve this accept to forward this mail with attachement to the webclient and open it from there or does anyone have another solution?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Apparently Vodafone hasn't upgraded to BIS 2.1 background processing yet. You might call Customer Service and after asking for Data Device Support, or what ever you have to ask to get the reps that might understand Blackberry devices, how to do this. Tell them other providers Blackberry connection allow it. You might politely point them to the BlackBerry Internet Service description page, http://www.blackberry.com/products/internetservice/index.shtml.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

MF

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    You might politely point them to the BlackBerry Internet Service description page.
    thanks for the info, the information on the link is a bit misleading I think, it gives the impression you can open anything "on the go"

Open attachments on the go – View popular attachment formats including JPEG, BMP, TIFF, Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint®, Corel® WordPerfect® and Adobe® PDF. Whether it’s a key file from work or a photo from a friend, you’ve got access when you want it. And now, you can review PowerPoint presentations in an easy-to-use slideshow format.
    Its not specifically mentioned that this is only when using the email client if you have BIS.

I think intergrating OWA in BB's webclient is the best option then and try to save me as much double work as possible with double inboxes so I have a question how to do this best.

What does the option "Leave messages on mail server" mean inside the email account options? wich mail server is ment here? the one that runs the providers email inbox that comes with BIS or my own OWA inbox that runs on my server?

Suppose I only want to use the BB when I'm away from the office and I dont want to clean up the BB inbox when I am in the office, is there an easy way to turn the intergation (or the push pop) on and off? or do I need to delete the email account in the profile every time?

thanks in advance

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by MF
    thanks for the info, the information on the link is a bit misleading I think, it gives the impression you can open anything "on the go".
    Open attachments on the go – View popular attachment formats including JPEG, BMP, TIFF, Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint®, Corel® WordPerfect® and Adobe® PDF. Whether it’s a key file from work or a photo from a friend, you’ve got access when you want it. And now, you can review PowerPoint presentations in an easy-to-use slideshow format.
    Its not specifically mentioned that this is only when using the email client if you have BIS.
    But I have opened most of those type files from my internet browser on my 8700, not just through email. I repeat I have opened .doc, .xls. ppt, and .pdf files using the Blackberry Internet Browser. The only one I can't confirm is WordPerfect. As I said, I believe that it is Vodafone, not RIM that is the problem here.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

MF

Ok thanks, I did ask vodafone and they say they run 2.1 so I dont understand then.

Doesnt matter anymore, we are using the way the phone was mented to use (the BB email client)

Only one problem though, we can open excel accept when the original excel document has a message when opening like if you want to run macro's or trust the macro's or want to merge sources if its linked.

The service in the background where excel is converted in plain text so blackberry can read it in the email client fails on above functions in excel. But alais, can't have it all.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Let me ask one more question, How many and what Browsers do you have?
    You Ask, We Will Answer

MF

you mean on the blackberry? just the default browser under services it is I think.

On the pc's everything is IE

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

On the Blackberry. Most carriers, at least those in the states have or until recently had two (or three if you are on a BES) browsers, One WAP Browser, usually branded to the Carrier, and an Internet Browser. The WAP browser is optimized for WML sites and the Internet Browser is optimized for HTML Sites. If you are on a BES you may have an MDS browser to access your company Intranet.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer