Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yesterday I had a little free time so I naturally decided it would be a ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

No more 15min delay for my Gmail email.

Advertisement

Yesterday I had a little free time so I naturally decided it would be a great idea to try to upgrade my BB's OS to something newer than what Cingular has posted. I was able to successfully do this and upgraded to .351, using a post I found on here. Works great and I got the Zen Theme.

I was also tossing around the idea of moving from BIS pop3 to using the desktop redirector on my Gmail account. I was trying to get rid of the 15 min delay that it took to receive an email sent to my gmail account on my blackberry. I decided that I could just live with the delay because the redirector had other downsides so I put my gmail account back in BIS.

Low and behold, no more 15 minute delay! I actaully get gmail to my 8700c faster than it comes up in my gmail account. It's great!

For those of you that aren't familiar with this delay I'll give you a little history. With BIS before v2.0 there was an up to a 15 minute delay when receiving emails from a pop3 account using BIS. This delay occurred because BIS didn't poll your pop3 account in real time. For whatever reason RIM decided to poll every 15 minutes, probably trying to save bandwidth.So they sent the poll interval to 15 minutes.
    With the rollout of 2.0 this was suppose to be gone, but I still had the 15 min delay.

So either upgrading my OS or dumping all of my Gmail BIS account fixed the problem. I'm going to guess the latter though. I guess in the 1.8 - 2.0 upgrade it still kept the old 15 min time frame. Who knows but it's working!

Hope this helps!

officer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244a6afa

Re: No more 15min delay for my Gmail email.

Being as Yahoo! is POP3, how would I use the desktop redirector? Is it possible? I'm with TMO and I don't even know what BIS ver they use
    Buck!!!
    Always somewhere else

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Yahoo you'll need to have an yahoo plus account to use it with you BB

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the delay went away with the upgrade from BIS 2.0 to 2.1. Deleting your account and recreating it is what changed it for you.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Slow down people!

With BIS, it's pull-push email. The BIS polls your email accounts not more than every 15 minutes for new email, then pushes that to your BB.

It would be nearly impossible to have this instant and 'real-time' as your mail server would be polled every second or two seconds. This would be a serious amount of traffic and could likely crash something.

15 minutes is a very decent window and an acceptable compromise.

That is, with all email except for Yahoo! and Gmail.

Yahoo! and Gmail have push-push agreements/setups with RIM, which enables those emails to act almost BES-ish in nature.

Push-push Gmail was introduced with BIS 2.1. However, if you already had your gmail setup with anything before 2.1, this change was not reflected.

The only way to get your 2.1 to push-push with Gmail is to delete the email account from your BIS account, and then add it again.

Also remember: Gmail sees no difference between a new message to you or from you. When you send an email from your BB using your gmail-on-BIS, a copy of the sent email is deposited into your gmail account. Which is then treated as a new message, and then delivered to your BlackBerry.

This often causes confusion because why would I get my sent emails delivered back to me as new email?

The only solution (which I have found) to this is to make a filter in BIS on your gmail to not deliver messages sent from yourself.

Additionally, I have also added a filter in gmail to auto-archive messages sent from me into a 'BlackBerry' label, so that the message bypasses my gmail inbox. Currently, there is no way to automatically mark a message as read in gmail using filters. So you will have to go to that label and manually mark your sent messages as read.

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

As for Yahoo! Plus ....???

I have no 'plus'. I have the free Yahoo! and it is push-push.

Even POP3 access is available for other client access, and it is not a paid service, though they try to get you to sign up for email ads.

PIN/ID
    23D1981A

I too use a filter in Gmail to prevent messages that I send from coming back on the blackberry
    What I don't understand though is Cingular is still on BIS 2.0. I just checked their version. I thought the upgrade happend at 2.0, not 2.1
    no big deal though
    all i care about is that my email is virutally instant to my bb from gmail
    good info thanks lewis!

miker17 no está en línea Stack level 1

With BIS 2.1 cingular and yahoo, do contacts and calendar items sync in real time?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

BIS 2.1 is only they email. Not the syncing of the calendar or contacts. That has to be done other ways.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Mr Dawg no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30EC9FA5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ while you guys are here can someone send me a gmail invite. I've been trying to get an account for weeks but they never send me the text with a registration code.

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ PM me your email address. I'll send you one when I get to a computer.

ngubler no está en línea Stack level 2

Allright, who else got lost in all that word-
    age?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Cingular isn't on BIS 2.1 yet are they?

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I assume you meant my post?

Feel free to PIN me with any questions or requests for clarification.

Abouraya no está en línea Stack level 2

Hey guys, having a big delay issue with Yahoo Mail plus, and regular yahoo. I have two emails set up with Yahoo plus and then a regular yahoo address. All of them are delayed coming to my BB, I have the 8100(not sure if this its cause by the new device). I read in this post that yahoo has an agreement for push-t0-push of messages, yet even with deleting and re activating my accounts I still have a delay. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast