Right now I have set up rules in Outlook to "redirect" emails to my t-mobile ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

Question MS OWA vs. Rules-based redirect (BIS users)

Advertisement

Right now I have set up rules in Outlook to "redirect" emails to my t-mobile Blackberry mail account. When I am online at work I go in and turn those rules off, and when I leave the office I turn the rules back on and any emails that are caught by those rules get forwarded to me on the BB.

Pros:
    ===
    - I can control what gets forwarded via rules. This really helps keep what goes to the BB down to the important stuff. (my name in To: or CC I also order the rules so heavy list traffic gets foldered and not forwarded. The forward to BB rules are near the bottom of my rules list.

- I can turn off the rules easily when online, so nothing gets forwarded.

Cons:
    ====
    - I don't seem to get the full To: and CC: lists, so I can't reply-all.

- No contact with calendar, just email get forwarded. I have to synch at desk with USB

- Deleting on BB cannot delete on exchange and vise versa. I always have to delete twice

- can't control anything on Outlook via BB, like moving an item to a folder, because I am just dealing with "copies" of the real email

- Can't see any of the mail I have stashed in folders

So....

I am ignorant of how things work for those using Outlook Web Access (OWA) to get mail to the BB. For those using it, can you tell me how it compares to what I have set up now? Will it resolve any of the Cons? Will it cost me the Pros?

Thanks for any comparison of the two methods.

-Dan

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: MS OWA vs. Rules-based redirect (BIS users)

Dan, I am using the OWA via the BIS client (not thru rules in Outlook).

1) I can see all recipients in the email and can reply all (maybe you can't bc of the rules you set up)
    2) The only way for your calendar to be updated, as well as contacts, is via the PC sync
    3) For the OWA, I have to delete twice too. For hotmail, I only have to delete once.

Since you aren't 'syncing' with your outlook MAIL, you won't see anything except what comes in to your inbox. You will have to use Outlook to actually manage the emails (unless someone else on here knows something I don't...and please, share!!)

The BIS has worked really well for me without one single issue...

-cc

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

dwc:

The added benefit of using OWA with BIS is twofold:

#1 - You would be replying from your work address, and not from your @carrier.blackberry.net. If you've got your work email forwarding to your BlackBerry address, then when you reply from your BB, those emails are sent from your BB address, not your work address.

#2 - You would get the full to: and cc: lists of all emails (that aren't filtered), and then you would be able to reply all (and from your work email address).

The only way to get contacts/calendar/tasks/memos OTA, in addition to email, is with BES.

Now, I can't say for sure, but MS OWA is IMAP-ish, and should/could support deletion of emails from the Exchange server via BlackBerry. But I'm not certain of this.

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks Cherri and Lewis.

Lewis, I have point #1 covered, as T-Mob allows you to enter the header fields in the email setup, so that it looks as if BB email is coming from my work address and not from blackberry.net.

I'll keep digging on the full cc: list issue, as I am hoping I can remedy that. That is clearly a point for OWA.

I will add as a point for redirection, that there is no lag time in getting mail on the BB. Mail arrives on the BB seconds after Outlook. I understand with OWA you might have a few minutes gap.

-Dan

chizm no está en línea Stack level 2

I keep getting errors where my work account through OWA is getting invalidated yet there has been no password change or anything. I have to end up deleting the account and re-entering in the info for it activate again. Has anyone has this issue / know how to resolve?

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by dwc
    Thanks Cherri and Lewis.

Lewis, I have point #1 covered, as T-Mob allows you to enter the header fields in the email setup, so that it looks as if BB email is coming from my work address and not from blackberry.net.

<PRUNE>
    -Dan
    Have you been able to eradicate the apparently auto-generated, 'Sent using T-Mob Blackberry' message? That appears on each and every one of mine, though I have the 'From' appearing as if it was sent from my regular account.

Thanks..
    ...Yogich
    ...Yogich

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogich
    Have you been able to eradicate the apparently auto-generated, 'Sent using T-Mob Blackberry' message? That appears on each and every one of mine, though I have the 'From' appearing as if it was sent from my regular account.

Thanks..
    ...Yogich
    You can configure that through your carrier's BIS account where you initially setup the OWA account.

gaidinswd no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello everybody, I know this is kinda a old post but I figured I'd post here to ask the relevant question. I'm a new BB user and wanted to set up the rules in outlook to forward to my BB, but was unsure on how to set it up. Thanks in advanced for any help.

jtollus no está en línea Stack level 1

I have tried to do this, though I set up my rule so that any emal that arrives after May 2007 and before May 2011 will be redirected. Therefore all emails should fall within that range and be sent to my Blackberry. However, only about 80% of them ever make it to my Blackberry. Does anyone else have that problem? Is the rule flawed? Not really sure what to do, I only know that I hate the OWA integration.

ck79 no está en línea Stack level 1

I would use the redirector, a lot of people do not like it but as long as you can always leave your pc on it is very stable, the only down side is that you cannot open attachments but you get all your email immediatly and can designate folders based on those created in outlook. Not being able to open attachments is not a big deal as you can also forward the email to your self using gmail or your corporate bis account. I would reccomend creating a filter that does not allow any email to be forwarded by your coproate bis unless it is from your address to prevent getting multiple copies.

dbh1 no está en línea Stack level 2

So I am using OWA right now (trying to convince IT to get BES Express, but that may take a while). ck79, you like redirector better? I can probably live with an attachment workaround (e.g., a rule to send it all to a new gmail account), but is there any other downsides? Does it fix the issue where deletes on outlook aren't pushed? Does it save messages sent from the BB on the server (or is that not working for me for some other reason). Are some of these problems relating to my carrier's (tmo) BIS version (I thought I read that somewhere)?

chejus no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello guys I´m new to all this. Have a brand new BB Pearl and have the BIS thing (not the special software that some people have). I´m the only one in my company (down in Argentina, South America) who has the BB. Everything seems beautiful EXCEPT the fact that I only receive those emails that "land" in the Inbox of my Outlook 2003, not the rest.

We use an Exchange Server in our company.
    I have 50-70 rules that make all emails go to their specific folders so they "bypass" the Inbox and first go to an "Unread folder" and then when they are read, they go to their specific folder.
    Any clues to get them all in my BB´s screen? Gracias!