This is just an annoying quirk, nothing serious. Everytime I send an email from my ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

jmpetre no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2433A17F

minor annoyance with gmail and bis

Advertisement

This is just an annoying quirk, nothing serious. Everytime I send an email from my bb through my gmail account, it pushes a copy of the email right back to me. I.e., I get a copy of the email I just wrote as a new message, and another copy goes to the recipient. Is there any way to stop this?

Also, a while ago I had Outlook Express getting my email with POP, and when it pulled the email from the gmail server, gmail would archive it's copy. Is there any way to set this up with the BB as well? My options in gmail still say "auto-archive gmails copy when downloading" or whatever it says to that effect. My thought is when I set up the gmail account on the BIS website(through tmo), it just asked for the domain, @gmail.com, and did the rest for me. I don't know if it's using pop or what...? I'm still new to BB's, so I don't really know what I'm talking about either
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by jmpetre; 01-05-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    --
    Jesse

m8kulook no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C895E0
    Here is a quick fix for the repeat email. You can go into the gmail settings on your pc and click on filter. When you're here, setup a filter in the from box with your email address and that should do it. On the other part of your question I can't answer. Maybe somebody will chime in.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: minor annoyance with gmail and bis

Quote Originally Posted by jmpetre View Post
    This is just an annoying quirk, nothing serious. Everytime I send an email from my bb through my gmail account, it pushes a copy of the email right back to me. I.e., I get a copy of the email I just wrote as a new message, and another copy goes to the recipient. Is there any way to stop this?
    Log in to your BIS account where you set up the email accounts. When viewing the email accounts choose the "Filter" icon for the gmail account. On the page that opens set these settings:

Filter Name: Sent Mail (or what you want to call the filter)
    Apply Filter When: "From" Field
    Contains: enter your gmail email address
    Check the "Do Not Forward To Device" tick
    Click save and try sending an email trough your gmail account.

You should no longer get a copy back to your BB. Gmails normal action is to send you a delivery receipt, with this filter set up you are filtering out that message from gmail.

Also, a while ago I had Outlook Express getting my email with POP, and when it pulled the email from the gmail server, gmail would archive it's copy. Is there any way to set this up with the BB as well? My options in gmail still say "auto-archive gmails copy when downloading" or whatever it says to that effect. My thought is when I set up the gmail account on the BIS website(through tmo), it just asked for the domain, @gmail.com, and did the rest for me. I don't know if it's using pop or what...? I'm still new to BB's, so I don't really know what I'm talking about either
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    Unless you specified a different account type then BIS is using POP to retrieve your email. You can set up your gmail account to use IMAP if you choose. If that is what you want to do, let me know and I will walk you through the set up.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

<snip>
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    Covered many times here.
    Your BlackBerry sends a copy of sent messages to the originating email service.

Set up a filter either on the email service or on the BIS setup to filter emails originating FROM the account.

For example, on my Gmail account I have a filter set up that skips the Inbox on all incoming emails FROM that email address (and applies a lable "SentBB"). This prevents it from being sent back TO my BlackBerry. ALSO, in Outlook Express, incoming emails from that account go to a specific folder, and emails I sent from my BlackBerry go to a subfolder called Sent automatically (I didn't do it - it happened automatically!).
    JerryD

jmpetre no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2433A17F

doughdaddy:
    Thank you, that was helpful.

So if BIS is using POP to get my gmail, and the auto-archive isn't working, I should probably contact gmail about it?

I'll send a support email. Thanks again!
    --
    Jesse

^^to slow jd

@jmpetre: Just be sure that when you set up gmail account that you did not choose "delete email from account" when deleting from the BB. That would move the email to the trash. If you want a copy kept on the server but deleted from the BB, uncheck that.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 01-05-2008 at 10:31 AM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    ^^to slow jd

@jmpetre: Just be sure that when you set up gmail account that you did not choose "delete email from account" when deleting from the BB. That would move the email to the trash. If you want a copy kept on the server but deleted from the BB, uncheck that.
    Maybe, but you didn't warn that with some accounts, deleting from your BlackBerry will permanently delete the message - not move it to the trash. It goes to Trash on my Gmail account, but not on my Yahoo (Plus) account.
    JerryD

My bad, I don't use Yahoo! so I am not aware of how that acts. Other than gmail I use all my own email servers for my other accounts. Gmail is my only free account not controlled by me.

dedtired no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317FC69C

I am trying to set up the filter in BIS (through Verizon). When I go into e-mail accounts, and open the GMail account, there is no filters option. What am I doing wrong?
    -Justin

the filter icon is to the right in line with the email account on the first page that lists the email accounts on the BIS

PIN/ID
    317FC69C

I'm sorry to be so dense, but I'm not seeing it. I have a text-only page that lists the following text:

xxx@gmail.com
    Edit Delete

Add another e-mail account

Create a Blackberry e-mail address

Services & Settings
    Help
    End User Agreement
    Logout

are you doing this on the BB or PC? You need to log in to the VZW BIS on a PC at this URL: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw and you should see it

PIN/ID
    317FC69C

Oh, okay. I was doing it on the BB.

It's very humbling to have a completely new piece of tech and have to learn so much from square one.

Thanks a lot for the help.

no problem... you will get used to it fast, keep reading a lot of posts and asking questions and you will be old hat at it soon