My BB is on both BES and BIS. Currently, I am assuming that the MDS ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Question MDS and BES vs. BIS

Advertisement

My BB is on both BES and BIS. Currently, I am assuming that the MDS (and web browsing in general) is being managed by the BES.

Two questions:

#1 - Is there any way to determine which service, BIS or BES, is managing the MDS?

#2 - Is it possible to change this myself?

I test drove a 7130g at a Rogers Wireless dealer. The dealer's BB was only on BIS. The browsing was stunningly fast. This was part of my motivation to upgrade from the 7100r. But now that I have my own, and it's on my company's BES, browsing is just as slow as it was on the 7100r, perhaps a bit slower.

(Not to worry johnj41, I will be writing up a review, but not tonight, too tired and too lazy right now.)

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    1) From what I know MDS is a part of BES.

2) I don't know how to do that.

LOL I would love to see a review of the device. I'm thinking about upgrading when T-Mo USA gets it.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: MDS and BES vs. BIS

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This mds is a seperate piece of hardware not needed but only usable if you have a bes. Bis/Bie do not use that. From what I know not all companies give edge for free

Oh ok.

ubelftw no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23CD9208

Edge ftw!

PIN/ID
    23CD9208

Too bad I'm on a 7105

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I wish edge was available for the 7105t.

PIN/ID
    23CD9208

Yeah. Me to Erica
    2bad for us ha

Newfangled 8700s!

Other than edge though I couldn't ask for too much more lol, I've been happy.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

The BES MDS loads up a separate web browser icon OTA on your Blackberry. If you use that MDS Brower all data and every site you browse on BlackBerry will be logged by your BES admin. In some cases you want to browse with BIS for privacy (BIS can allow be restricted by you BES admin and they may allow only MDS access).

When downloading apps a lot of BES uses who also have BIS sometimes think they MUST use the BES version of software. Wrong. That only saves MONEY Since the BES gets internet directly from the BES sever while the BIS get internet via your Mobile carrier. (I'll have to confirm this but it's my understanding) Note that some BES admins set a daily data limit for all BES MDS data passed. You may want to inquire what that limit is for your account.

If you are going to use remote desktop Blackberry software of any kind. I'd recommend and unlimited BIS plans or BES, as so far I haven't seen any apps that use as much data!

Also see:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...read.php?t=714
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...hread.php?t=30

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Lewis I would like to know where exactly are you locating and where did you try it for the first time 'cause the edge network in canada doesn't work everywhere so maybe your pda only uses is gprs network whose slower a bit

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Post Re: MDS and BES vs. BIS

Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Lewis I would like to know where exactly are you locating and where did you try it for the first time 'cause the edge network in canada doesn't work everywhere so maybe your pda only uses is gprs network whose slower a bit
    I am in Lethbridge Alberta. Edge is definitely here, and I've got it.

I have noticed that it occassionally switches to GPRS, but only stays there for a few moments. This is typically after I hang up a phone call.

But I've not even had the 7130 for 24 hours yet...

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Lightbulb Re: MDS and BES vs. BIS

hydn:

For what you explained, am I to understand that the browser I choose will ultimately determine which service I am browsing through?

Is this the difference between WAP browser, Internet browser, and BlackBerry browser?

That would make sense, and I never thought about it that way before.

As for BES / BIS. I work for another division of the same "mother" company which owns the wireless carrier. The IT of all the companies is integrated. Therefore, I suppose, in some way, it doesn't really matter which I use because both are with Rogers.

And unlike the U.S., there is a pricing system in Canada for wireless services which is not all too competitive (in comparison) and ensures maximum profit. There are no "unlimited" data plans. In fact, Rogers recently gave up with the seductive "unlimited **". Where the footnote declared that unlimited actually means 25 MB. Now the BB price page doesn't use the U word at all.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

Well as far as the new devices go the wap browser only allows wap access now. The internet browser allows all standard web access that it can support. No frames or secure sites from what I noticed like owa sites and banking sites but opera can :-). And the bes browser is the same as far as all access goes with the exception of restricted web access set by the admin as well as the ability to view vpn sites. Intranet sites and other company only access sites as where if you go there on the reg browserr you usually get a 504 http error.

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Before 4.1, I couldn't do much. After 4.1, I could do frames, but the browser would ask me which frame I would like to load. (Maybe this was just with "simple" sites, 3 frames or less??)

Also, I can sign in to online banking. Quite a surprise really. But if it's not secure, my banking site would tell me. I just never did it though, because GPRS was relatively slow. But with EDGE it's actually quite snappy.

But now that I've been browsing more, it does seem faster. I think I was a bit impatient earlier, perhaps expecting too much ??

Now if I could only figure out how to make the browser load images....I know it's in options, and I've enabled images, but they aren't loading.