Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have 4.5 loaded on my 8820 and i have noticed a lot of switching ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

salvatoretri no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2457af8e

keeps switching to lower case edge and gprs

Advertisement

I have 4.5 loaded on my 8820 and i have noticed a lot of switching back and forth betweem EDGE and edge/gprs....

anyone know why??

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have noticed that my Curve 8330 goes to 1xev instead of 1XEV every so often. A co-worker had the same problem. I just powered off the phone and it fixed the problem. Other than that, I have noe explanation.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by salvatoretri View Post
    I have 4.5 loaded on my 8820 and i have noticed a lot of switching back and forth betweem EDGE and edge/gprs....

anyone know why??
    This sounds like the product of a weak signal. If you press & hold alt and key n, m, l, l it will change your meter strength to a number and you can see how strong the signal is - the lower the number, the better. If you're in the 90's, for example, it's not a very strong signal - numbers in the 50's - 70's is pretty good! Try that and post back.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    on EVDO 80 is the best,thats as low as it goes,hope this helps
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VETT98 View Post
    How high does it go higher and how often? If it's moving up from time to time that may be when the switch between EDGE and edge/gprs is happening. That was the point of my saying is "sounds" like a weak signal. If you have a constant 80 on the meter it should be able to stay on EDGE.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

salvatoretri no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2457af8e
    thanks j....i did that and i am showing -87 signal....that explains it and i learned something new!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VETT98 View Post

Not true. I have had a signal as low as -60. Just depends on how close to the cell site you are. Just for reference, -60 is better than -70, -70 better than -80, and so on. The worse you probably will get is -105.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Just as a point of clarification. Technically, the higher the number, the better the signal. These are negative values and therefore, -60 is greater than -80.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by 04Taco View Post
    Not true. I have had a signal as low as -60. Just depends on how close to the cell site you are. Just for reference, -60 is better than -70, -70 better than -80, and so on. The worse you probably will get is -105.
    I think he MEANT 80 is as low as HIS particular handset SHOWS - not that (-)80 is the best signal.

UPDATE: Sorry, I messed up. I was in a hurry and thought that 04taco's post was one from the OP (salvatore) telling me that 80 was as low a reading as HE got - forget the above comment. Obviously 80 is not as low as it goes. I have seen readings in the 50's.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 06-30-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Just as a point of clarification. Technically, the higher the number, the better the signal. These are negative values and therefore, -60 is greater than -80.
    You're absolutely right, MJ. We refer to these numbers incorrectly as "high" and "low" - it seems easier to get the point across even if it IS incorrect because they ARE negative. Thanks for the clarification.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    You're absolutely right, MJ. We refer to these numbers incorrectly as "high" and "low" - it seems easier to get the point across even if it IS incorrect because they ARE negative. Thanks for the clarification.
    Lol. I'm an engineer at heart I suppose. Regardless of how we want to look at them, I hate it when my signal is down (or up) around -105 as it has been most of the day...
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Lol. I'm an engineer at heart I suppose. Regardless of how we want to look at them, I hate it when my signal is down (or up) around -105 as it has been most of the day...
    Too bad the 8310 doesn't have wi-fi too. With a reading like that you're a candidate for it if I ever saw one. (I am too with GPRS coverage here in AR - that's why I'm using the 8320 and 8120. Without wi-fi I'd have NO browsing on my BB!)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Ya. I wish I had that option. Unfortunately, there is no T-Mo service at my home. In fact, the only carrier with service at my house it at&t since they have a tower in the corn field across the street.

It's weird. My service is fine anywhere but at work. And usually, it's fine. Just this last week has been a bit buggy. Maybe there are network issues or something... I'm actually at -86 right now and loving it.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    This sounds like the product of a weak signal. If you press & hold alt and key n, m, l, l it will change your meter strength to a number and you can see how strong the signal is - the lower the number, the better. If you're in the 90's, for example, it's not a very strong signal - numbers in the 50's - 70's is pretty good! Try that and post back.
    Can you clarify that? Do I hold down the alt key AND the N,M,L,and I keys at the same time or hold down alt and hit the keys one at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by 04Taco View Post
    Can you clarify that? Do I hold down the alt key AND the N,M,L,and I keys at the same time or hold down alt and hit the keys one at a time?
    No. Press and HOLD the alt key while keying the following: N M L L (4 keys, one at a time - not N M L I like you stated above but N M L L.) Does that help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast