Hello again: I have a question concerning Junk Email and filtering it to the Blackberry ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

chookagian no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Junk Email Question

Advertisement

Hello again:

I have a question concerning Junk Email and filtering it to the Blackberry handheld.

Here is my configuration:

Device: Verizon 7130e
    Email Program: Outlook 2003 (For One Business Email Address)
    Server: BES Express (For One Business Email Address, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, etc)

Other Email: Use Blackberry Internet for my personal email & my Blackberry email addresses.

The problem is with my business email address. I get on average about 50 to 60 emails a day, of which about 5 emails are valid, and the rest of the emails are pure spam and junk. I setup my Junk Mail filter to be very aggressive, and it does capture a good majority of the spam. For those that get through, I mark them as junk.

Here is my question: Does anyone know of a way to utilize the JUNK FILTER and NOT send junk emails to the handheld? If I could just get my emails ONLY from my INBOX, then that would solve my problem.

I am thinking that maybe BES Express is getting the messages directly from the Exchange Server, before it gets to my outlook junk folder. Is there anyway to apply the junk filter to Exchange if thats the case? I even tried leaving Outlook open, but no luck.

Thanks again.....

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Junk Email Question

If the junk is coming from your BES account then...

- On your work PC open the Blackberry Desktop Manager
    - Double click 'Redirector Settings'
    - Click the 'Advanced' tab
    - Click 'Selected Folders'
    - Click the 'Choose Folders' button to the left
    - Click the '+' next to the checked 'Inbox'
    - Then uncheck the 'Junk' email folder (or whatever you've named your junk folder')
    - Or if you only have and 'Inbox' folder and a 'Junk' Folder and no seperate folders for each email contact withing your company... you can slected the 'Inbox only' option.

Hope this helps

-

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Thanks for your prompt reply.Unfortunately, I am not using the Desktop Redirector. The company email is coming directly from the BES Express server. While there are filters within the BES Express server, they only allow you to filter certain things like TO, FROM, CC, BCC. You setup a rule, and if meets that rule it will do what you tell it to do. There is no place within the BES server setup that allows you to exclude folders such as the Junk Folder. Further, Blackberry support told me not to install the redirector because the email would come to my handheld directly from the BES Express server which is linked to my outlook account.Any other suggestions or cooments would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by chookagian
    Thanks for your prompt reply.Unfortunately, I am not using the Desktop Redirector. The company email is coming directly from the BES Express server. While there are filters within the BES Express server, they only allow you to filter certain things like TO, FROM, CC, BCC. You setup a rule, and if meets that rule it will do what you tell it to do. There is no place within the BES server setup that allows you to exclude folders such as the Junk Folder. Further, Blackberry support told me not to install the redirector because the email would come to my handheld directly from the BES Express server which is linked to my outlook account.Any other suggestions or cooments would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,
    Yes I know you are not using desktop redirector. I'm on BES also and I don't use desktop redirector. Desktop redirector isn't a part of the Blackberry Desktop manager.

You need to install the CD that came with your device (comes with all BB's) and choose the Blackberry enterprise server install option. Then....

- On your windows work PC click 'Start'
    - 'Programs'
    - 'Blackberry'
    - Then don't click 'Blackberry Desktop Redirector' as u said there's no need to use that but click 'Desktop Manager'

Then follow the above mentioned steps:

- Double click 'Redirector Settings'
    - Click the 'Advanced' tab
    - Click 'Selected Folders'
    - Click the 'Choose Folders' button to the left
    - Click the '+' next to the checked 'Inbox'
    - Then uncheck the 'Junk' email folder (or whatever you've named your junk folder')
    - Or if you only have and 'Inbox' folder and a 'Junk' Folder and no seperate folders for each email contact withing your company... you can slected the 'Inbox only' option.

Attached 5 screen shot to help walk you through
    Attached Images Attached Images

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

Thanks for the clarification and screen shots!!

I installed the software as you suggested using the Enterprise setup and was able to get into the redirector settings and change the folder to inbox and sent only. It told me to restart the program for the settings to take effect, and I did so.

I went into Outlook and saw most of my emails in the JUNK folder and only one email was a valid one. Unfortunately, I did get the JUNK emails on the crackberry.

May I ask a stupid question........

In the setup on the advanced tab, there is a place to select the profile to use. The choices are Blackberry Manager, Blackberry Server, and Outlook. I selected OUTLOOK, is that correct?

Still wondering why I am getting the Junk emails on the handheld when they are in fact going into the junk folder?? Very perplexing.

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

A quick update:

1. The BES user properties show the folder redirection only to the inbox.

2. The Redirector settings show the folder redirection only to the inbox.

3. The handheld (options*email settings*folder redirection) show folder redirection only to the inbox.

Yet, the junk emails are going to the JUNK folder in Outlook AND to the handheld as well. It has to be a simple fix, but I can't understand what I am missing?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

dbaugh no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm having the same problem and what Ive found out is that the e-mail is being rederected PRIOR to hitting your junk mail folder. My configuration is the same as yours, at least for the moment, and what Ive determined is that we would need to set up a filter on the Blackberry itself. I allow only safe lists from outlook to be delivered to my inbox and everything else hits the junk folder. I would like the same configuration option on the BB. I'll let you know if I find anything...

Dan

PIN/ID
    32B730A0

SOLUTION:

Since I thought this was a BES issue, I contacted Blackberry support since BES Server comes with 60 days of free TX0 support. They blew me off and told me to call my wireless carrier Verizon.

I called Verizon and they told me that I need to contact Blackberry once again because they only provide the data connection, but don't offer email support. They went on to say that the software that comes with the phone is Blackberry supported, the Blackberry Internet Service is Blackberry supported, and if applicable, Redirector and other software including BES is Blackberry supported.

Ok enough for counting on Blackberry & Verizon. I figured that I was on my own and decided to do some investigation. The following applies to my issue above using BES and Exchange.

1. Email comes from the Internet to the Exchange Server.

2. Any email (junk and spam included) is considered "INBOX" mail and it is sent to the BES.

3. The BES then pushes everything out to the handheld; junk, spam, and valid emails. If it's in the INBOX, it's on the handheld period!! The only exception to this would be if you have a simple filter(s) applied to the BES or the handheld like only accept emails from microsoft.com etc.

4. The folder redirection ONLY keeps mail that is ALREADY in your Junk folder from being sent to your handheld. The transfer of junk email to the junk folder only happens when you open the Outlook email client and hit Send/Receive. If you have the Junk email filter turned on, then and only then will the emails be filtered and the junk emails will end up in the junk folder. But remember, BES sends out the email immediately when it gets it from the Exchange Server. Even if you left Outlook open 24/7, the handheld would get the email BEFORE Outlook even had a chance to process it.

Workaround:

If you are lucky enough to have a good Exchange Server Admin, or if you have access to the Exchange Server, you can download and install the following:

Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2003

Exchange Intelligent Message Filter Overview

Hopefully this will clear up any misconceptions of how the folder redirection works and what it actually can and more importantly can not do for you.

I hope this helps.......

Regards,

finnadat no está en línea Stack level 1

problem is that I'm not lucky - anyone have any ideas of how to not push anything that lands in the junk email folder or even remove them from the blackberry inbox if they end up in the junk folder?

leastcmplicated no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm going to resurrect this thread in the hopes that someone new has come a long and has an answer. I am NOT using BES, only the desktop redirector with Exchange 2003. I am getting both Inbox and Junk Mail although Junk Mail is unchecked in the settings, only Inbox is checked. I did read the rest of the thread so im sure junk is being forwarded before its sorted by outlook. Is there anything I can do? thanks!

strehle no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by leastcmplicated View Post
    I'm going to resurrect this thread in the hopes that someone new has come a long and has an answer. I am NOT using BES, only the desktop redirector with Exchange 2003. I am getting both Inbox and Junk Mail although Junk Mail is unchecked in the settings, only Inbox is checked. I did read the rest of the thread so im sure junk is being forwarded before its sorted by outlook. Is there anything I can do? thanks!
    Okay, so I know this is a little late, but I was at a client eariler this morning, and they were having the same issue. It turns out that apparently the Blackberry server syncs with exchange faster than outlook can download the messages. If the Blackberry server does this, all of the emails--junk email or not-- will be shoved into the inbox on the users BlackBerry. I had the instructions from RIM on fixing this issue: This fix is for the BES 4.0 or 4.1 - open Reg Edit, and navigated to:
    HKEYLocalMachine/software/Research In Motion/Black Berry Enterprise Server/Agents
    Look for a DWORD with the name "ProcessMailDelay." if it is there, open it and set the value (in seconds) the time to delay the BES to grab the mail. If it is not listed (as it wasn't listed on my server), add a DWORD and set the value (in seconds). I set mine for 25 seconds and it appears to be working just fine.

Good luck.

strehle

Also, the above would work if you're using the desktop manager, however, for anyone who's using server 2003 or any post nt server and the RIM server software, see above.

Zanemoneyshot no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Junk Email Question

Hi Guy's,

Unless I've misunderstood something here the ProcessMailDelay solution only works when you have your Outlook client running. I set this up yesterday and it was fine while I was logged onto the network with my laptop and Outlook running but this morning my Blackberry is full of junk again.

We have just started using Blackberry and the majority of our users are not office based and connect to Exchange with Outlook infrequently. I have setup the Junk Email filter in Outlook but it doesn't seem to have any effect unless Outlook is running. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do!

000stewie no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is it in fact the case that the reg edit only works when Outlook is open. We are having a similar issue, but we also on top of the junk mail problem have email messages that are read in Outlook that won't mark read in BB.