Hi there :-). Recently I got a new BB7290 on contract package with my SP ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

willies no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24F4C7A4

Info needed regarding email and internet.

Advertisement

Hi there :-). Recently I got a new BB7290 on contract package with my SP (Vodacom). I love it very much but could not setup email or open the browser.
    After a couple of days and a few visits to customer services, they tell me I need to take an additional contract package to use email and internet. Is this true? Must I subscribe to an additional contract package to use my browser. The email is not the end of the world but I cannot even access the net from my BB. This is just wrong!
    I do not want to take an additional contract out of principal. They should never have offered the phone on the package that I have knowing that I could not use all the features.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Info needed regarding email and internet.

Most Companies have Cell calling plans for regular cell phones. Then for PDA's, Blackberries and such they offer a DATA Plan... you need the DATA plan to access the internet thru your BB.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

PIN/ID
    24F4C7A4

If I insert my SIM into any other phone, I can access the internet. The thing with BB is that it does not have anywhere to manually set my SP internet settings.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Yea, blackberries are set up differently than your average cell phone... They do alot more so they require a different kind of plan.... Sometimes a service provider will offer a bundle package with data and calling included... I think that if you had the data plan and were able to utilize all that your Blackberry has to offer you might use it more than you really think you would...... They dont call them Crackberries for nothin ya know.....lol
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

PIN/ID
    24F4C7A4

Thanx for the advice. Though it almost literally hurts to give into these crooks, I must admit that I cannot go on without using the browser and email for that matter. I guess I'll have to concede and take the additional package. 1 for the sneaky big money hungry corporations and 0 for the poor techno junkies like myself.

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9

Hi willies, as referred to in other posts, the BB differs in almost every respect from your usual moby. You expect, even with a pay and go simple moby nowadays that you can get voice/SMS/WAP. Not so with a BB unless you have a post pay contract enabled for voice and data. If you haven't already climbed into bed (figuratively ) with Voda, I would check out the competition, as Voda tend to be pricey. Have a look at T Mobile Flext/WebNWalk, if its available in RSA. Let us know how you get on.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

willies, Welcome to PinStack.

Just to add a little explaination to the additional charges, Blackberry devices utilize the RIM Data network for most Data services, Therefore there is a charge for not only the data access for your carrier, your carrier must pay RIM for letting you have the privilege of access to the most addictive data service on a mobile phone. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles