Hello, I just switched from a Treo to BB. I have an IMAP email account ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

denniesmit no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E76E0E

IMAP server folders on blackberry?

Advertisement

Hello,
    I just switched from a Treo to BB. I have an IMAP email account (.mac) and a whole bunch of server folders where I organize my messages, on my treo those folders where all neatly displayed and accessible and would update when I updated them on the server. I want to do the same thing on my new BB Pearl....
    Now I've just set up my email on the blackberry and it is all working fine, but I cannot find my server folders anywhere! I have search these forums, but most people just talk about the sent folder, which incidentally isn't there either.. (i've tried everything that is suggested so far)
    I really need to acces those folders on a regular basis when I'm traveling and don't have acces to my email on my computer.
    Please anybody with suggestions!
    Thanks
    Danielle

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: IMAP server folders on blackberry?

denniesmit, Welcome to PinStack.

Not really sure how IMAP folders work with BIS, but have you looked in the Message Apps Menu View Folders List?

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr

PIN/ID
    23E76E0E

Hi,
    Yes I have, there are no IMAP folders in there, including sent messages. my items in that list are: browser messages, Missed calls, MMS inbox/outbox, phone call logs, SMS inbox/outbox/ SIM card inbox and WAP push messages.
    Where are my sent messages? And all my other folders?
    If there is anybody o9ut there who can help, please!
    Danielle

wschnaer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20447e7b

Denniesmit, welcome to PinStack

You have just discovered the primarhy (in my opinion) problem with the Blackberry - it is woefully deficient in handling IMAP email compared to Chatteremail on a Treo. Not only does it not support IMAP folders, the syncing of read status and deletions are one-way only - from your Blackberry to the IMAP server.

I have had to set up separate IMAP accounts for each of the folders I had before, and I have to handle those emails on my BB in order to keep everything sync'ed. I was able to use separate accounts because my folders corresponded to different email addresses. You may have to resort to another means.

I found it ironic that the BB, which started off as primarily an email device, should be worse than the competition in this regard.

Good luck, and I hope you find a good work-around. With some other problems that are surfacing (but that's another story) I am edging closer each month to reverting to the Treo.

PIN/ID
    23E76E0E

Wow, that is very surprising and dissapointing. Like you said, the BB is supposed the best email device, right? I switched because the phone quality on the treo was so bad, but if I had know this...
    I guess the only option is to forward the important emails to myself and leave them in my inbox
    But I've seen some other threads with people talking about sent messages. Is there no way to view those either? Or did somebody come up with a solution for those?
    Danielle

PIN/ID
    23E76E0E

I just got of the phoe with BB technical support.. 2 hours!!! Complete idiots! They didn't even know what server folders are....
    After a lot of explaining they figured it out and confirmed that server folders are unsupported on any BB device.
    Just thought to let you know..

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Just to set some things straight. The Blackberry was designed for Corporate email. There is excellent Reconciliation between the Corporater BES, compatible Email Server and the Handheld.

When more and more Non-Corporate users began to ask for methods to get personal email or other external email on there BlackBerry, RIM responded with the BIS and adding the ability to add accounts. Of course, it doesn't have all the Capabilities of the BES, but it does allow the user to add accounts.

BIS 1.8 and maybe earlier versions had the capability to create and use folders, for all messages, Direct and Added account. When more and more users began to ask for the ability to have separate Sent From addresses for each account, again RIM responded with BIS 2.0. But in doing so, they used this opportunity to offload some of the storage load on their server farm and took away the ability to use folders.

Yes, BIS does have it's limitations, but it still gets the email to your handheld very well.

Just my opinion.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B
    I agree with Rcbjr. I use my BB with both pop3 and imap accounts. My workaround for the folders is the search feature on the BB. I can filter messages based on the send too address. You are able to filter sent items that way also. You may investigate the search feature as a substitute for folders.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~