My company has given me a choice to setup my mail client as either pop3 ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

curlyone743 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question imap4 or pop3 for BIS?

Advertisement

My company has given me a choice to setup my mail client as either pop3 or imap4. We are using BIS and not BES and we use Exchange as our mail server. I realize you can't get 2-way email reconcile with either setup so I was wondering what are people using? I am usually getting my email in my office but I do travel frequently so then I get my email from my 8700c. What is the prefered setup? Thanks for your opinions.

ajmctaggart no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: imap4 or pop3 for BIS?

Personally I recommend to you to go w/ the POP option, no reason to use IMAP, unless you will be working with your mail at home and at work and would like to see the different folders you've set up at both.

IMAP basically allows you to "port" your folders, settings, and email to all your computers setup w/ a POP client. Blackberry however will still access and treat this option in the same way. The only way for you to get these great features on your device is through BES (Guys correct me if I'm wrong).

Sooo if this email is strictly for mobile use, and you want very little interaction with your email outside of your BB, go with the POP.

If you will be checking email @ home and work from a Desktop, and you would like to use the organization and features of the IMAP, go for it, just don't expect to get any of those special features from IMAP on your BB.

Hope this helps,
    Good Luck
    ajm

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Agreed. Go POP3.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~And just remember, without BES you will not have instantaneous email. In my experience it was more like 20 minute delays with occasional hour long delays, and some delays as long as half a day.

antx16 no está en línea Stack level 3

go with pop no reason to go with imap for home and travelling especially with bis .

DontBNS no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'd make a case to managment to go with BES, you have a lot of features to back you up.

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~And just remember, without BES you will not have instantaneous email. In my experience it was more like 20 minute delays with occasional hour long delays, and some delays as long as half a day.
    that's something wrong with your email server or your settings. I've never used BES in my life and get instaneous emails almost 24/7. Biggest delay I've ever had is like 10-15 minutes and that NEVER happens. I've had every kind of blackberry and cell provider you can and it's been the same throughout all phones and providers, and all with BIS.

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

I have to aggree with untjoker. I have my server email set to IMAP and I get instant email.

I like the IMAP better, it's suppose to be better, I really don't know the what the differance is, It would be nice if someone could explain the differance. I was told that IMAP is more secure.