Can someone fill me in on this? I did a little bit of reading around ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

sublimnl no está en línea Stack level 1

Question HOW does BIS determine your POP3/IMAP server?

Advertisement

Can someone fill me in on this? I did a little bit of reading around and have not seen this explained. We have a few users that have been using BIS for a while now, and suddenly it stopped working for all of them at the same time. If I knew more about how BIS connects then that would be very helpful to me in troubleshooting the issue.

The only change we made recently was switching our MX records, but MX's are for INCOMING e-mail to a domain and have nothing to do with what server a user would use to CHECK their e-mail unless you just happen to host both services on the same server, which we have not done for YEARS.

So, being that there is not a way to publish your POP3/IMAP server specifically (as is the case with MX records for your SMTP servers), how does BIS ever figure out which server it should be checking? To be honest, I was always shocked this ever worked to begin with.

Thanks!

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Magic!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

heh, thanks A LOT.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Your most welcome!

I think it runs on a "standard" like most email is set to mail.domain.com with specific ports and options for SSL. I setup my personal email on my bb and had to type in the POP3 info myself since my mail access was not set to mail.domain.com but webmail.domain.com. So its not always right, but I am sure that RIM has a list of standards that it goes by.

Hopefully a little more helpful
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

well, ours is also webmail.domain.com but it used to work. mail.domain.com for us points to our MX's which are just relays that dont hold any mail at all and to which our FW's only allow connections on port 25 anyway. still a mystery...

anyway, you said that you manually typed in your POP3 address. how did you do this and I will have these users give that a shot in the mean time.

But, back to the topic at hand...does anyone know what steps BIS uses to determine a POP3 server? I'm very curious...
    Last edited by sublimnl; 04-09-2008 at 02:47 AM.