Hello, I have been searching all day for a definite answer to my problems trying ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

Snatcher no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Google Hosted Domains (Gapps)

Advertisement

Hello,

I have been searching all day for a definite answer to my problems trying to make my BIS server recognize my Google hosted domains e-mails as Gmail accounts for instantaneous synchronization. Although some posts by colleague whsbuss made me hope everything was set up, I faced nothing but problems while trying to setup an account.

I am on TIM Brazil network, however I expect that my BIS server would not care for that very much.

When trying to set up automatically the e-mail, it would not accept the domain and password provided until I enabled IMAP and POP on the domain, thus finally configuring the gapps account as a simple IMAP account...

All MX records point exactly to the gmail servers, as directed in the GApps site... Am I losing something here?

Oh, yeah, I tried to call my network support. They firmly said they had no way to contact RIM support, even after I described how some of our friends were able to fix that in such way.

Therefore, I am totally hopeless if I cannot make that happen automatically, as some friends stated it would be possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Last edited by Snatcher; 03-05-2008 at 12:59 AM.

thetimekeeper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205064C7

Re: Google Hosted Domains (Gapps)

Are you not able to add the email? I have a domain hosted on Google apps with my MX forwarded to Google servers. All I had to do was enable POP in my webmail, and add the account using name@mydomain.com, and the password in the BIS set up page, and I was all set. I think it automatically detected it as gmail and worked accordingly.

I really am not able to make it autodetect, whether by making pop on, only pop on, or everything (pop and IMAP) off. Really puzzled. Thought the patch for recognizing mx gmail servers was for all BIS, regardless of network provider..... :-(

....just guessing, maybe it could be:
    (1) the way godaddy handles the MX records (still waiting propagation to try an alternate configuration, 1 hour TTL (as opposed to 1 week for godaddy recommended by google) and priority zero to first server (google gives 10) ; or

(2) the fact that my blackberry services webpage is getting its data from an eu.bis.blackberry.com address - could that mean that I am on EU-directed servers which may not recognize google servers for integration??

thetimekeeper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205064C7

Could be, though I got the impression Blackberry.net servers were not location specific. Can you access your domain gmail through a POP3 client like outlook?

Yep. I can access everything through pop and IMAP.

ops, double post
    Last edited by Snatcher; 03-07-2008 at 01:54 PM.

whsbuss no está en línea Stack level 3
    Snatcher,

I suspect the problem is in the BIS associated with your carrier. The MX records lookup is BIS specific meaning if it does not have the google hosted apps patch for BIS notification it will not work. I would check with your carrier.

whsbuss, thanks for your reply, I saw you went a long way in this and other forums to make it possible for you. I will try once more to contact my carrier. But they are way too dumb to even understand that with gmail things are different..... sigh.