Hey all, I tried searching for the answer to this question for a while before ... BlackBerry Internet & Email forum

camerr55 no está en línea Stack level 2

gmail issue...

Advertisement

Hey all, I tried searching for the answer to this question for a while before I posted but here we go...

I use gmail and then I open an email on my phone and read it then go to gmail that email comes up as an un-read email. How do I make it so that after I open an email on my phone, it appears as a read email on gmail?

Thanks,

cameron

BBEnriched no está en línea Stack level 3
    I do believe on the setup in gmail you'd have to set it to imap. You lose the instant notification but you do get reconcilliation. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610
    How soon after you open the email on your BB do you open the email on your Gmail. You have to give it time to reconcile, that would open read mail or delete mail if that's the case, if you gotot your PC and log into your Gmail just after you opened it on your BB, it does not have time to reconcile.

You can speed up the process by hitting reconcile now under your messages menu screen

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

camerr55 no está en línea Stack level 2
    yeah its even after a few days, i seem to remember when setting up there was something along the way about "keep as new" messages in gmail but I cant seem to find it. the emails in the gmail are always new until I read them on gmail... hmmm

PIN/ID
    4029C610
    Check you reconciliation options on your BB, make sure it is set to wireless reconsiliation and to in case of conflict handheld wins .

Its unde messages>options>email reconciliation

buckeye81 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBEnriched View Post
    I do believe on the setup in gmail you'd have to set it to imap. You lose the instant notification but you do get reconcilliation. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

gmail IMAP is fine on desktop programs, but I've never had it work well via BIS. very unreliable.

if you haven't taken a peek at the gmail app for blackberry, you might want to check it out. not perfect, but works for some folks.

tbhuang2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    You need to delete your Gmail email from your BIS account and re-add it with an IMAP configuration. If I read an email on my Blackberry it shows up as read on Gmail's site as soon as I close the messages app on my BB. That when I see the data arrows going active, every time I close the messages, so I'm guessing that's when it does all of the reconciling work. So your messages should show up read basically almost instantly.

BTW: I believe "Reconcile now" is only applicable to BES users.
    BB Wishlist:
    -Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution.
    -More capable integrated alarm.

PIN/ID
    4029C610
    I have 3 gmail accounts that goto my BB, I don't have a problem with any of them with the instant notification or the reconciliation portion. As long as my BB is set to Handheld wins.

AdamC no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Just a quick FYI if you hadn't known, there is a GMail app. I actually stopped linking it w/BIS, and activated my blackberry email address for that, and downloaded the gmail app for my google account.

Since our phones don't have html email *yet I hope!!* the gmail does a lot better job of formatting the text only parts.
    Adam
    Tucson, AZ
    Sprint Tour 9630

Cadmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Does using the Gmail application have to send data more often? Since the application does not "push" email it has to check for new messages every 10 minutes or however long it takes. I can see this really draining the battery throughout a full day of checking for email.

Another thing I have noticed is you cannot spell check using the Gmail app.

AdamC no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM Me
    Yeah I believe it uses more data as well as battery. It does have an auto refresh option, which will deliver new messages to the phone, but as you said, it isn't as quick as just having the push - it's a bit like the issues they are talking about with the new iphone and the way I think it handles MS exchange.

The app definitely has it's pluses and minuses, sorry I didn't highlight these in my original post.
    Adam
    Tucson, AZ
    Sprint Tour 9630

How do I add gmail to the bis email using imap?

tbhuang2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadmonkey View Post
    How do I add gmail to the bis email using imap?
    Just follow these instructions. In my opinion the delay in email is a small price to pay for having read/unread reconciliation.
    BB Wishlist:
    -Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution.
    -More capable integrated alarm.

I followed the instruction from gmail and it looks like everything is set up correctly. One thing I am not clear about is the conflict setting. Gmail says for conflicts, 'mailbox wins' but I have heard from other users that 'handheld wins'. What does this mean exactly and what is the difference?